Original P-K Transportation?

jon-monon

This is not off-topic as it ties into my pike :D The cart was made by my Dansk grandfather, before he immigrated to the USA. He made it for his father to use in his delivery business. Sometime later they "upgraded" to a model T truck, which I also have a picture of. It seems P-K transportation reaches back into the old country. The photo's and information was just received from my 2nd cousin in Denmark. The rest of the family remained in Denmark, and I indeed had a great uncle named Olaf. :D :D :D

Attachments

• origcartsm.jpg
    origcartsm.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 122

jkristia

So this picture is from Denmark? Do you know where and when it was taken?

I just asked my mom back home to see if she can find a book about a short line running between my hometown of Odder and Aarhus in Jutland/Denmark. That privately owned short line (called HHJ) had it's 100th anniversary in 1984, and for that occasion had a 200 pages book printed with photos of it's rolling stock, buildings engine shop etc. And I just got an email from her where she told me that a person at the museum might know someone who knows some one who wants to sell his copy of the book. So let's see.

F

Fred_M

Either you grandpa was small, or them are some big goats Jon. Fred

interurban

I am intrested in the product that "cart" delivered??? :p

What was/ is your PK family business????????

spill da beans jon :D

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Now something I found out when my Dad was still alive was that our family on his side came from Denmark. You never know do ya!

TrainClown

I love that wagon, jon. I'm a wagon buff and always look to see them. The older the better.
That one is a real beauty. Amost a minaturte.

Lets see the model T now please. I love them too.

TrainClown

jon-monon

OK, here's what I know:

That's Great Uncle Karl on the wagon, my grandfather Jens's little brother. I guess the photo is around 1905 or so, as U. Karl was born 1898. By 1910, Jens left Danmark for US.

My great grandfather CM Polsen married and moved to Sølyst, near Aalborg. Greatgrandfather CM was a miller, and became a miller and foreman at Rørdal-cement works. He also became a skilled breader of rabbits, and became forman for "Dansk kaninavler froening".

So, my gandfather made the cart, and his brother Uncle Karl used it to deliver rabbits to Aalborg. He used the wagon to carry "goods" on the return trip. There was an article in a Danish magazine mentioning U. Karl as the youngest carrier in Denmark. The goats were named Max and Mourtis and were known to butt. U. Karl could handle them. The crate on the back is for the rabbits.

Business was goo enough they could buy a horse and greatgrandfather CM himself began as a carrier. They moved to Aalborg and began business with several horses and wagons.

This is all derived from a letter from my 2nd cousin, dated June 21, just this year. I hope the history covered all the queations :)

Chris (TC) I will post the T model for you tomorrow.

Robin danskmand Velkommen!

Chris (sparky) Paulsen and Knudsen partnered after Jens immigrated to the US. The business died with Jens :( and the rest is my immagination :)

jon-monon

An old T for TC

Now this photo must be somewhat newer, as in the Cart is my 2nd cousin Jørn, who sent the letter with the pictures. He is one generation later than the boy in the cart. Also pictured is Jørns grandfather (my great grandfather) CM Polsen.

BTW: Thanks fo rhte interest in my family and rigins of the PK line. I was a little s'prized as I just expected maybe a comment or two. I guess that's what happens when you share with a thousand plus friends :D :D :D

Attachments

• CMP-Jorn-and-T640.jpg
    CMP-Jorn-and-T640.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 85

TrainClown

my brother has simmialar pix of my gran dad's "C" cab trucks he used for his renovation biz. I'll see if he will send me a copy.

Cool history jon. Your lucky to find out. You should wright it in a book.

TrainClown

Jon,
I think the truck is late twenties or even thirties. It looks more like a model A than a T.

Neat pictures. I particularly like the goats and the little wagon. To be technical, I think (not dead sure) a cart is two wheels, and a wagon is four.

BillS

Locobreath

Jon:

Love these old pictures. My grandfather drove a horse-drawn milk delivery wagon on the east coast. His favorite horse was named 'Benny.' I wish I had a picture of it. You're lucky to have the photo.

jon-monon

I wish you did too. I have some old farm pics from the Iowan side of the family featuring my uncle with a team of work horses, etc. A lot of fun to look at that stuff, adn even more fun when they are family. Uncle Dick, strated on a Ioway farm, ended up with a PhD.