Orangeville Station burns

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Chris,

I do hope they can restore it. I used to go past the station several times each day on my way to and from school. I was also there when they moved it from the yard to downtown - quite a sight!

Andrew

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
I was very saddened to hear the news of the fire in Orangeville . I lived in that general area from 1969- 1988 and passed through the town many times . Restoring and/or repairing a structure of that vintage will be costly and time consuming . Lets all hope and pray that the station is not razed .
Will , i know that this is very near and dear to you for many reasons . Please keep me posted from time to time on the progress as I live a few hundred miles away from that area now , and don't receive local news .

Thanks , Neil

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Originally posted by cobra
Will , i know that this is very near and dear to you for many reasons . Please keep me posted from time to time on the progress as I live a few hundred miles away from that area now , and don't receive local news.

Neil, I live up in Huntsville now. But I am keeping my eye on this one. Always liked the look of that building.

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
I went to University of Guelph starting in '69 ( no not an Aggie ) and married and stayed in the area Fergus , Belwood , Drayton , K-W until '88 when I came back south . My work used to take me through Orangeville fairly often , had friends in Beeton ....you get the idea .
I hate when landmarks are damaged because the people with strong feelings for the structure are probably ( I'm guessing ) in the minority . Lets hope they don't have to pass the hat to get things repaired . Lets hope the damage isn't so widespread that they feel they want to demolish it .

Neil

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Restoration

I went by the Orangeville station today and they are in full swing repairing it. It has a new roof and they were starting on shingles. The interior is completely gone and all the door and window openings are empty.
The owner came out to ask me why I was photographing it; I guess he's had a lot of official busybodies poking at it.
I saw a report that said there was $800,000 damage.
(Photos will follow if I can get them shrunk.)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
That's great news Andrew!!!! Looking forward to seeing some pix!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

John Rendall Models used to make a witch's hat station kit in HO. I'm really sorry I didn't get one when the getting was good, because his is another Canadian model company that has disappeared. :cry:

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi David,

Thanks for providing the photos. It looks like there is a lot of space around the station... Is this really the case, or is it just an illusion? I seem to recall that they had to "shoehorn" it into its new downtown location when they moved it...?

Andrew