Optimus Prime - Large Scale Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by tomhom, Mar 11, 2008.

1. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Hi all

I’ve decided to start a new thread now that i have done the hand the old one can be found here

After a lot of fiddling over the weekend I’ve managed to make a wrist I’m happy with

First up this is the socket for the hand to go in, I won’t be gluing this in as i want it to be removable so i can attach his axe and what not

this is the turntable for the whole wrist so that it will have 360 degree movement

this is the finished wrist

this shows the movement of the socket

This shows the movement of the turntable

Now to get started on the forearm and elbow

2. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

jawdrop wow im really looking forward to seeing this one it looks great so far.
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

1/1 optimus prime :)
  4. NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 Member

would you consider making templates of this so everybody can make it?
  5. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Heck...i would just like to find a detailed model of a Cabover semi!!! Heck with the Transformer!
  6. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

I, I... well.. I just have nothing to say?!?... i'm speechless!

7. ThunderChild

ThunderChild Active Member

Totally SUPER COOL!!! :D
  8. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Wowser, Tom. You def think big and your wife rocks for letting you do this. I would love to see any templates you might have for the hand and wrist. That alone would be a cool build!!!!!
  9. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Hi guys

Thanks for all your comments
    about the templates i had considered releasing them but I’m doing this all by hand, eye, trail and error no computers, i have been keeping track of the templates for all the pieces (i need to for the other arm and maybe other transformers:twisted:) i could scan them in and clean them up but that will have to wait till I’ve finished as i want to plod on with this while i still have the passion

these are the templates i done up to now i design them first then just cut round them many many times to get the bits i need

10. NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005 Member

excellent, I would definately like to make this when you have finished
  11. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Just a quick update to show the arm communicator

I'm going to let you good people decide on who's picture will go on the screen which ever two (one on each arm) gets the most votes by the time i come round to texturing it will be the winner's
  12. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

13. xavs

xavs Member

Great job

Hope to see these thing moving soon
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Even if you only complete one arm... adding some wires to the end and a blast mark would make for a great model. =X
  15. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Hi Guys

After a long painful wall1wall1wall1design a bit of a break then a coffee accident:curse::curse::curse: (accident my backside) the elbow joint is finished

these pics are off the internal skeleton (before the coffee)

these are off the the finished product with paneling (after the coffee)
    the coffee which went all over the pistons and the underneath of it so that needed ripping out and rebuilding

a few close-ups of the pistons and socket details

next up the forearm so i can put all these pieces together hopefully wont take to long as it is just a big box and no moving parts:thumb:
  16. clif52

clif52 Banned

Great design. I'm watching this one with great intrest. I love building with corrugated cardboard.

Have you thought about coating each section with Minwax wood hardener. It makes the cardboard almost like fiberglass board. I used some Christmas as an experiment. I made my 3 year old granddaughter a basketball backboard for a kids small ball. I filled in the edge with styrofoam paint using a scrap piece of cardboard as a squeegee, let it dry, sanded, spray painted from behind using bumper black plastic spray. I made a graphic and got a friend to print it on a poster printer then I sealed it with a piece of scrap safety film for glass from work. It looked like a high gloss fiberglass backboard. I have wondered about filling a shallow tray with the Minwax wood hardener and dipping the cardboard into it to get a better coating. It works though.
  17. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

Freakin Sweet!

oh, and my sympathies to your tired (i'm sure) fingers from workin so much cardboard! :thumb:
  18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

That's... Holy crap, it's not a model! It's how you'd build the real thing!!
  19. CNWman

CNWman CNW Fan

Man, if that was finished (painted and w/ smokestack), It would look pretty neat hanging on my wall:mrgreen:

Ok, just kidding. That arm is still seriously awesome. Maybe you could actualy rig up some electronics and create the world's first Optimus Prime animatronic?:mrgreen:sign1
  20. tomhom

tomhom New Member

Hi Guys

Well i've finished the forearm bit hard then i thought it might be, trying to get something this big to be a straight box is a bugger

Here's an internal pic

Here's the completed arm

A close up of the communicator

A close up of the elbow

And a scale pic with a Masterpiece Prime

Now might have noticed that its a right arm but a left hand :cry: that shouldn't be a problem since the hand is removable anyway but i feel the hand is a bit to small so im going to have to either modify this one or make a new one wall1wall1wall1
    So it might be a while before i start the shoulder

Thanks for listening