Optical assistance

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by alaimo@jcu.edu, Jul 18, 2007.

1. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

Out of curiosity, do any of you micro miniature people, or any of you card modelers out there, use optical assistance? If so, what kind? I ask because I am 44 and wear glasses and am starting to need bifocals. I don't want to give up the hobby, so I figure what some of you have gone through can save me some trouble, and I bet anyone else approaching middle age...:):killer:
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well, I'm not far behind at soon to be 43.
    My eyes don't focus so well close up any more so my wife bought me a
    head band type magnifier that you can move up and down for correct positioning
    The lens comes out and the package comes with 2 different power lenses.
    I went straight for the higher power lens and I have been wanting a stronger one ever since.
    I know they make separate lenses so you can upgrade.
    I think my wife paid about $30-35 for the set and I really like them.
    They are very comfortable and work great.
    The package is long gone but I found a mark that reads "Mageyes"
    Maybe you can Google it.
    I'm sure they are a common brand.

3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Trifocals :rolleyes:
    One set of glasses for driving, computer work and model building....
  4. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Nearsighted here - I use optical assistance for everything EXCEPT modelling.
  5. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Hello, Aliamo,
    Get you some reading glasses in 2.50 or 3.00 at your local dollar store. Get the tiny ones and set them on the end of your nose. Been working for me. I like 3.00.
  6. jyduchene

jyduchene Member

57 and have worn glasses since age 7. Currently on trifocals. I use a head band type magnifier and went out and bought the highest power lens. I also use a clip on magnifier, the same arrangement as clip on sunglasses; five power I think. You can tell the models I built before the lens. I should have had them from the beginning.

I bought both my magnifiers at Michaels' in the sewing department. (Michaels' midwest usa).

You can't cut what you can't see.

7. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I use a set of OptiVISOR http://www.doneganoptical.com/optivisor.php to work on my models. I started using them about 10 years ago and frankly the quality of my models were improved by using these.

OptiVISOR are considered the best low cost visor available but they are still not cheap, a visor and a second set of lens will set you back about $60. Cheaper types are available but none compare optically to the OptiVISOR.

On the cheap side I use these on my work bench, if I break them no great loss. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37586

Jim Nunn
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I just got some cheapo dime-store reading glasses. One pair on my work bench, a pair by my laptop, and a pair in the kitchen so I can read directions on the TV Dinners or carry with me to read menus when we go out....

Old eyes suck.

To select the correct pair, carry what you consider to be a detailed model page with you to the drug/dime store and try the different powers. The signs they have there are too easy to read and can cause you to get the wrong power.
  9. 46rob

46rob Member

I'm over sixty--wear progressive lense eyeglasses, and use a fluorescent magnifier lamp for any small work.
    As we becoome older, part of the natural aging process is the gradual change in shape of the eyeball--caused by the muscles' expansion and contraction--and the fact that as we age, tissues, muscle, skin--all types become less resilient, hence wrinkling, sagging etc. Eye tissue is no exception. Luckily, we live in an age where multiple solution for this problem exist.

Find one that works for you and don't forget, that as you get older, regular eye checkups are important to stop any serious condition from getting worse.
  10. johnflys2

johnflys2 Member

11. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

I use the same type of visors that Jim Nunn referenced. Multiple levels of magnification and lights on each side to illuminate the work. I have also used those flip up magnifiers that clip on to my glasses. A very good light source is a must, also. :)
  12. Optivisor for me. Started using it at least 15 years ago for aid in painting military miniatures (hard to paint a lifelike face on a something the size of a split pea without help). I can't imagine card modelling without it.
  13. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

I'm 75 and extremely presbyopic (far sighted). I started using an Optivisor years ago with actively doing lapidary work (checking for small un-polished-out scratches on stones).

The optivisor carried over into 1/72 p*****c modeling, and now into card modeling. My wife uses one too, in making jewelry and other craftwork.

Check the Micromark website [micromark.com] for optivisors, extra lenses, lights, desktop magnifiers, etc. ((I'm now using a small led headlamp fastened to mine, because the replacement light bulbs for my wife's costs over $5 each!!))

I also use a pair of #4 reading glasses for a lot of my card modeling, if the light is good enough. I had to order these from American Reading Glasses.com, because it is virtually impossible to find any that are stronger than #3 in the stores, and the #3s just aren't strong enough for modeling work now.

And believe it or not, you can use your optivisor over your reading glasses. Great for digging out little-bitty stickers from someone else's foot!

14. alaimo@jcu.edu

alaimo@jcu.edu I need a Pin up girl. . .

I had the mag glass but it is hard for me to work with, based on the responses, I am going to look for a place that sells mageyes, or the optivisor, seem to be basically the same product, so that I can try one on over my glasses. Also, the lighting seems to be big, I am using light bulb over head, but since I work mostly at night, probably not enough, so I will change the lighting too...probably will stop the eyestrain..

No Offense, it feels good to know that I am not the only one going blind....:cool: or agingwall1..but as I always say you are only as old as the person you are feeling...I need to feel 18-25 again.:twisted:
  15. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I use what amounts to a home-made microscope. I wear progressive eyeglasses over which I wear pair of 2.00 power reading glasses and use those two pairs of glasses to look through a powerful magnifying glass that's mounted on a stand. It's a kludge, but the tiny parts really look big and this setup allows me to do very detailed work on edge trimming.