Opinions wanted on my first attempt at weathering...

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Wondering what peoples opinions are on my first attempt at weathering my track and a bridge...

To weather the track, I airbrushed the whole thing with Polly Scale Roof Brown, then I drybrushed the tops of the ties with 1:1 Polly Scale Reefer White and Earth. After that was done I handbrushed the sides of the rails with 1:1 Polly Scale Roof Brown and Rust.

The bridge was airbrushed Polly Scale Grimey Black then hit with an Ink wash then hit with Burnt Sienna Pastels then Testors Dullcote, and finally and bit of drybrushing with Oily Black.
I also lightly brushed the walkways with Oily Black.

Im not sure if Ive overdone the bridge or not? Im quite pleased with the track...

Any suggestions for making my bridge look better? Or should I leave it as is?

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 254

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Looking good Troy and will be interested in seeing it when you have ballasted the track. I must admit I like my track to be somewhat darker and paint the sides of the rail with burnt umber. That may be because the actual CN tracks that go through town here look that way. I can imagine track could look the way you have done it where you live.

Troy

Sep 27, 2003
Australia
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I must admit that the tips I have for weathering the track are from a book that I purchased. Its called "How To Build Realistic Model Railroad Scenery" by Dave Frary (Kalmbach)

Another member of this forum advised me on how to weather the bridge with pastel chalks and I just added a couple of extra steps to the process...

For anyone just getting into Model Trains like me, Dave Frarys books is well worth the money and will be a great source of information for years to come.
Its full of great tips and its all based on water soluble techniques.

Cheers,

Troy.