Opinion or answer needed for this question

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by GyverX, Jun 30, 2004.

1. GyverX

GyverX Member

I run a site called THe Matrix Lair. This site basicly hosts the stuff that I am into or I create. At one time I hosted a paper model that was not my creation and it was posted that I did not create that model. But its a good model none the less.

Remeber this model?
    The Abrams tank at the russian site that took about 2 to 4 minutes to load regardless of the connect the person had. I hosted the files for this model and tried a number of times to contact the owner of this model. I even made a web page thats was translated into their language with no avale. Then the owner of the paper models group on smart groups said I was going to be kicked out of the group if I did not take it down from my site. So I took it down and I left the group. I did not like the way things were handled and quite frankly its a who diffrent story. Anyway. THe reason I was hosting them is becuase it would be a much faster veiwing of the files needed to build the model. Basicly a faster hosting of the files for those who wanted them ather than having to wait for ever to get them from http://jtdigest.narod.ru/dig2_02/museum2.htm

THe question is. Should I re host them even if I have not recieved any confermation from the owner? Or maybe host them with something saying "would the owner of this model please stand up" or something to that effect. Its a courtsey to the owner for me to host them and to view them faster and I do not mind at all to host these files but do not want to step on any toes. ANy way. please tell me what you think.
  2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

get the authorization first.

that way you have covered your ass first and foremost

3. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Yeah, what Rick said, I am afraid. If you have not got explicit permission, you are just asking for trouble if you host other people's work.

Tim P

PS Design your own stuff, or offer to host others. There are loads of talanted designers right here who might be interested in finding a public home for their work. Not everyone has storage space and high speed access for this sort of distribution.
  4. Ron

Ron Member

Rick's advice is solid. It's not worth it regardless of the very good intentions. I have personally written many letters asking for permission without any response so I just let them lie, enjoyed the model and went onto bigger and better :)

5. Maurice

Maurice Member

Solid advice it may be but I find Rick's concepts of anatomy altogether somewhat too confusing, sort of if you know what I mean like.
    Would the protection afforded be more effective when advancing or when retreating?

6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

it is the most fleshy part of the whole body, so not too much damage when kicked or shot

7. barry

barry Active Member

you would probably be kicked in the ass twice might be less painful though

ARMORMAN Guest

I have this model....I DL it from another site....the only problem with it is that it's missing about half the AD (assembly directions) to build it....so it's psychic modelling 101....good model, though.
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

Yes Rick, but it's definitely not foremost, well not for most people. :lol:

10. cardfan

cardfan Member

Would that possibly be aft-most? Never mind... :twisted:

11. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

No, but it might be on the hindquarterdeck

12. Peter H

Peter H Member

"If in doubt....don't"

(apologies asked for a threadbare cliche)