Opinion on voting choices

Your opinion on voting choices

• I like voting for more than one entry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'd rather be restricted to vote for one entry only

• I don't care, I don't vote anyway

• I rather not have a contest in the first place, those great entries only make me look bad

• Total voters

ezdays

Out AZ way
The past two months we've changed the voting to allow muliple selections. The theory is that some people can't choose one favorite and this way they have a chance to vote for all entries that they like. Vote for one, vote for all. I'd like your opinions on keeping it that way in the future, so here's yet another poll.

ausien

I voted for choice 2, 1 vote. after all a contest has to have a winner. and with the great modleing thats out there it is bound to be a hard choice to make, but I think if your going to vote you should make you vote count....steve

cidchase

I think that if it's just one vote then the vote total gives you a
clearer idea of the level of participation. "One man, one vote" :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
cidchase said:
I think that if it's just one vote then the vote total gives you a
clearer idea of the level of participation. "One man, one vote" :thumb:
Ahh, but at the bottom of the poll results you can see the number of people that have participated, not the total number of votes. So now you have the best of both worlds...:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Just one more argument "for" open voting. There are many great entries in every competition, some really good ones are worthy of recognition, but would tend to not get any votes when standing in the shadow of greatness. I'm not advocating lowering the bar, or trying to keep someone from feeling inadequate, I'm just trying to promote recognition when it is due.

I'll drink to that Don :thumb:

There is always something of interest in each entry and the more entries submitted the more ideas get spread around.

I just hope most members realise this is NOT the sort of competition in magazines to find "Modeller Of The Year".
Come on guys lets just have fun. :)

Errol

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thank you Errol. You are correct, "let's just have fun" are the words we shold be thinking about when we enter or vote here. That's the main reason we don't have prizes. Not a real "contest", but a chance to show off your work a bit, be it your layout or your talant with a camera and your ability to see something worth passing on to others, and a vote to see how others react.

Things like this make the Gauge unique, somehow we are passionate about our pictures here.:wave::wave:

BTW folks, we've to less than two days to enter for this month's competition. :D:D

Lisap

I like the option of voting for more than one entry. If this was a real contest with prizes then that but like Don said this is about having a chance to show off a bit.

ezdays

Out AZ way
cidchase said:
Don, after re-reading the questions I think I caught on to #3 :D :D
Cid,

Sorry, I missed this post, but yeah, think about the irony in that. Someone voting for "...I don't vote anyway":D :D

Marxed

i think that the topics of what the contests are on are going to affect how many people participate.... voting isn't going to have much of an effect... a good photo is going to win regardless of the voting... even if you remove voting all together, the best photo is still going to rule the thread with tons of comments...

for example if you did a secenery contests, theres only soo many people who have well modeled stuff and only a hand full of them do it extremely well.. leaving those people to win with a chance for anyone else... you have to think up something that will be really broad that anyone can participate in without needing large sums of money or modeling hours... our contests are a bit more of a "scenery and modeling contest" than they are photography contests

maybe some contests on photography creativity, as in photo angles and lighting effects or something... something thats more photography?? i know even if i hired a professional photographer, i still wouldn't have had a change of winning half the contests i've been around and seen here soo far just for the fact that i use plasticville, a flat green platform with no landscaping, and that ugly 3 rail lionel track as opposed to anything else.... but thats what i want to model, soo i cant just go out and get photos of well modeled and landscaped stuff

ezdays

Out AZ way
CavlrZ said:
i think that the topics of what the contests are on are going to affect how many people participate.... voting isn't going to have much of an effect... a good photo is going to win regardless of the voting... even if you remove voting all together, the best photo is still going to rule the thread with tons of comments...

for example if you did a secenery contests, theres only soo many people who have well modeled stuff and only a hand full of them do it extremely well.. leaving those people to win with a chance for anyone else... you have to think up something that will be really broad that anyone can participate in without needing large sums of money or modeling hours... our contests are a bit more of a "scenery and modeling contest" than they are photography contests

maybe some contests on photography creativity, as in photo angles and lighting effects or something... something thats more photography?? i know even if i hired a professional photographer, i still wouldn't have had a change of winning half the contests i've been around and seen here soo far just for the fact that i use plasticville, a flat green platform with no landscaping, and that ugly 3 rail lionel track as opposed to anything else.... but thats what i want to model, soo i cant just go out and get photos of well modeled and landscaped stuff
I quoted your entire answer, since I am somewhat confused by your position. You may be enlighted if you take the time to look the past "contests" over again. I've been running these contests since April. Let's take a look at the ones I've done so far.
  • April - Anything from your layout (which support your position, it is restrictive to be sure)
  • May - "Anything unusal on the rails" (which has no relationship to anyone's modeling ability)
  • June - "Anything railroad related and humorus" (Which again, can be either a layout or a prototype photo and is in no way restrictive)
  • July/Aug - "Anything railroad related" (Again, layout or proto, anything, same goes)
  • Sept. - Two structure contest, one scale, the other prototype (can't get more diverse than that)
  • Oct. - Scenery, (yeah, here we go with model stuff again) :D
  • Nov/Dec - Anything holiday related, cards, photos, or just a message or poem: "If it is holiday-related, it can be any holiday that falls between now and the first of the year, Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, New Years Day or any other that I may have overlooked" (Again, wide open to anyone, even those that don't have a camera)
So, out of seven contests, only two were restricted to modelers. All the others were diverse enough to allow photographers to do their thing, and this month, it is a "no contest, contest", and you don't even have to submit a photo, something you composed would be just fine.

I have done my best to make these "contests" interesting and open to the general membership. In many of the modeling "contest" rules, I've even stated that the photo can be of someone else's layout, just a long as you took the picture. You've got to remember, this is a model railroad forum, and I'd be remiss if we didn't have a "contest" now and then strictly to allow modelers to show off their work. Remember also, this is not a photography forum and as such we are not going to start judging on photo techniques.

I also have another thread here asking for suggestions, and I plan on implementing some of those starting in January. If you have any ideas for a "contest", feel free to add your comments to that thread.

Marxed

allright, well i didn't go back and look at everything before i posted it.... it was just a random blabber of thought that was on my mind.... just delete that reply and lets pretend it never happened?

Pooh Bah
And every so often, we have a contest that permits or encourages "photo magic", which means manipulating the photo to enhance its effect, replacing the tartan curtains with a shot of the rockies or adding your Commodore Vanderbilt to the prototype station in Chicago.
Yes, much of it is designed to encourage you to add some scenery or detail a car or something.

ezdays

Out AZ way
60103 said:
And every so often, we have a contest that permits or encourages "photo magic", which means manipulating the photo to enhance its effect, replacing the tartan curtains with a shot of the rockies or adding your Commodore Vanderbilt to the prototype station in Chicago.
Yes, much of it is designed to encourage you to add some scenery or detail a car or something.
Yeah, I like photo magic too. Some people find it restrictive because they don't have the skills or the software, but to me we need to get all different aspects a chance. I will have one of these soon.