Opinion on incline to upper track level?

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by jpohl, Jan 15, 2004.

1. jpohl

jpohl New Member

I am about done with my layout on the table, N Scale on a 48x78 table top. I am ding the track basically on two layers. I believe it is pretty standard to have two "ramps", one ascending to and the other descending from the upper level. On my layout, I am only using one ramp to try to save on track space. My plan will be to back up smaller trains, 15 cars or less on the "ramp" to the upper level. Once up there, there is a continuous loop for the train to run on with a few industrial spurs? Once I want that train on the lower tracks, it will be able to go forward down the ramp.

The question is, how common is it to just use one "ramp" to connect the upper and lower running tracks? Is anyone else doing this?

2. Lightbender

Lightbender Member

Hello Jeff,

I have sort of what you describe except that I forgot to stop and ended up with 7 levels. The top one is at eye level, those of us vertically challenged (below the average 6'4") have to tippy toe or stand on a box.

My solution to avoid running trains backwards was to have reversing loops on level 5 and the bottom. I originally had them switchable to continuous loops as well, but now just have the one big one on level 3.

I have single line between 1 and 3 but then I have the points for the reversing loop which gives me dual line working up through to the level 5 loop.

Reversing loops are electrically daunting for some and you may not want to turn your trains around so I would then suggest putting both your up and down lines on the same ramp. Either way you'll need to buy more turnouts.
  3. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Double track one ramp, and arrainge the track work so that on track goes up the other goes down.
  4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I personally like the one track idea. I have it on my big big track plan for my big big unstarted someday to be layout. If you run diesel, you could just uncouple and run the engine around to the other end to go back down.

Before comitting to a plan to back the shorter trains up the hill, you might experiment with a couple of flextracks on a 2 X 4 held at the expected angle. It would be nice to know for sure they won't derail being pushed uphill, if you don't already know that.
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

I think things will go better if you pull uphill and push downhill.
  6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

If you aren't going to try to have a train going up at the same time one is coming down, you could use a "gantlet" track and get two tracks in the space of one.