Opinion on Bachmann E-Z Mate

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
The EZMates I have came on the cars, I find they work well and match up to KD's but don't seem as strong,they seem to need a genteler touch than the KD's

Bill54

May 2, 2006
Northern Virginia
I just bought two packages of 25 E Z Mate Couplers. There are two versions, 78105 and 78125. The 78105 are cheaper, they have a plastic sprung clasp that closes the coupler. The 18125 is a little more expensive and has a gold color spring just like the Kadee couplers, that keeps pressure on the clasp to keep them closed.

The problem with both of them are they are plastic couplers. I found about 1/4 of the package had couplers with arms that were bowed downward. When I put them on the cars I found the couplers did not align correctly because of being bowed.

If you have to use plastic couplers because of electrical reasons I'd say use them. If you can use metal couplers I'd go with the Kadee's over the E Z Mate's. The cost for Kadee's are slightly higher but worth every penny.

Bill

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If Kadees are the "gold" standard, then EZ Mates are the, well... plastic standard. As mentioned above, the ones I have gotten (when included in a kit) are often bent, and need a bit of fiddling. They also seem to stretch under a load, so if you like long trains, I'd say stick to the Kadees.

Andrew

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
I went through a short spell of experimenting with plastic couplers. Initially I liked them because of the simplicity of installation. Personally, I didn't like the EZ mates because they're too big. I leaned toward McHenry's coupler due to their relatively small size and initial ease of use (they coupled with little effort). The plastic experiment ended when the McHenry's started becoming unreliable due to their plastic knuckle springs losing their strength.

I'm back to Kadees and will replace the remaining plastic couplers as they fail.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have a Spectrum 2-8-0 I bought at a train show. I was wanted to run it right out of the box, and didn't have any kaddees with me, so I ran it with the stock E-Z Mate couplers. After less than two hours running, the couplers were stretching and deforming. It didn't even take a long train, the 2-8-0 probably only pulls 10 cars or so!