Operations on my version of the C&O

L

lester perry

I use car cards that never leave my train board. This is where all dispatching is done. Including yard switch list. Every car on my layout has a card with the exception of about 100 coal cars which move as unit trains.
100_1146.jpg

I am going to follow a train from Russell Ky to Clifton Forge Va. This is a short train with one stop to drop off a car in route. First The dispatch has to write the orders (that's me)

100_1153.jpg

Here is the orders with the card showing the only drop in this train.

100_1149.jpg

This is the train ready to roll in the hidden yard. With orders in hand the engineer ( Me ) begins the trip

100_1150.jpg

Here the train is leaving the hidden yard onto the layout

100_1154.jpg

Now the train arrives at the furniture plant

100_1157.jpg

The car to be dropped is the last one on the train

100_1160.jpg

Here the caboose is left behind and car is being backed into siding

100_1158.jpg

Car is being spotted

100_1159.jpg

Car is left at destination

100_1164.jpg

Mark off the move on orders

100_1161.jpg

Return to pick up caboose

100_1163.jpg

Continuing on trip.

100_1165.jpg

Arrive at Clifton Forge.

To be continued with switch list at Clifton forge.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Nice step by step explanation of how you operate Lester. Did you create the forms? I'm envious of your staging yard...wish I had thought more about one before constructing my layout and I really like the way trains enter the visible layout from that tunnel.
Ralph

L

lester perry

Thanks Ralph. The train orders is a copy of actual C&O form 19. All I know about it is it was used for written orders. The car card I made myself. I always check off the moves on form 19 when move is made as I have forgotten to make a move and lost cars because of it. The car will end up in yard with no card and the card will be at business with no car. I have 8 possible business locations, a small short line yard and 2 hidden yards to loose cars in. It can become a problem if you don't do what orders say to do. There are 2 staging yards with 3 tracks in each.
Les

brakie

Les,Nice operation plan you have.Simple and very efficient :thumb: Nice looking layout.:D

L

lester perry

medavis said:
Les, how big is your layout? Do you have more pics of it?
It is approximately 450 square feet, 300 plus cars and around 50 locomotives. Go to Photography, scenery, books, video. Look at "What do you have" for over all views of layout. While there look for threads I have posted for more pics.
102960247.jpg

Les