Open for suggestions

ezdays

Out AZ way
The contest thread is a lot of fun to submit to, and I don't want to exclude anyone based on the choices of monthly subjects. For that reason, I'm looking for suggestions as to what Gauge members would like to see as subjects for these contests. I'm not sure if the response varies according to subject, or according to the month it's being held. Since I took over as contest moderator earlier this year, I've tried to be as diversed and pick subjects that are generally appealing. I think we've done well when we can get over 20 entries. Last month there were 11, this month so far there are 6. Again, I don't know if that's because of the fact that we are heading into the summer season and everyone is busy doing summer things, or because of the choice of subjects.

Let me know how you feel about that, and please let me know if you have any suggestions as to what we should use as contest subjects for the coming months I know not everyone has a digital camera, but I do see many of you posting pictures, but not entering these contests. I'd like to see more people enter and share in the fun.

Marxed

i'm not sure about anyone else, but i absoultely am thrilled about this months contest, and i'm not submitting till later on in the month because i'm still taking pictures!

if you want to make a photo contest that is more open to everyone, an idea would be to do something that most people would beable to photograph... the easiest thing to do would make contests mostly focus on model trains and theming, as opposed to real world trains, since model trains are easier and more assessible to most people for photography. For example, the last photocontest revoloved around the real life rail road, i looked around my town for some stuff to take pictures of but came up empty handed, and once i seen the submissions for it i had to give up, because there was nothing i could photograph, without traveling hours to the rail-road museum..

you said that you see people posting pictures but not entering them, i reccommend that you could recommend submiting to these people.

possible future contest ideas could include and revolve around frieght cars only, passenger cars only, tenders only, or even steam only... you can also theme around movies or events, or other common things...

one more little thing that i came up with.... why not have more contests?? we can do a contest every two weeks instead or two at the same time.. doing this would expand what people can do and give people a choice of what contest to enter at that time frame.... two contests at the same time could allow opposing themes, such as a real life train theme and a model train theme for the other one.... or any random combination of themes....

sorry if i rambled on too much ;)

ezdays

Out AZ way
Nope, don't need to appologize for "rambling on", I'm looking for input from everyone here. Just one thing regarding having a "protoype only" contest, the Gauge encompases both models and the real world and we have to be considerate of both. A lot of modelers get excited about both. If you notice, this month's contest allows for pictures from either side. There have been times in the past that mods ran two concurrent contests, and that is something to consider for the future as well.

Thanks for your inputs, I hope to hear from more members so we can have these contests they way they'd like to see them run.:wave::wave::wave::wave:

Pooh Bah
I suggested a while back the theme of "Vacation pictures" which would lend itself to any picture taken while out of (home) town, or pictures of your LPP on holdays (camped by the river, etc.) Might be an end of summer contest.

ezdays

Out AZ way
I like that as well. All suggestions will be considered, and really welcome. Ngauger suggested a while back to do a "satillite" view of your layout. A worthy suggestion as well. Keep 'em coming...

Marxed

mini-contests for holidays are good ideas too, for each holiday there can be a holiday theme contest.... like decorate a model village with ghosts for halloween or something...

cabdriver

My only concern with the current contest is that it is one where someone catches something strange "that will make the rest of us chuckle a bit" :eek: -- if you have been around a long time, perhaps you will have something in your archives that would apply. :rolleyes: For those of us relatively new to the hobby (year or less) it's a bit hard to find somthing on the rail to chuckle about. :eek: I have no problem with this :) -- I just wouldn't post to this contest. :) I live near a number of yards, and something strange is, I'm sure, financially problematic to the RR, so they don't happen often and when they do, the chances of me seeing it and actually taking a picture of it is slim to none. :rolleyes: :) Please don't take this as criticism. :) :rolleyes: :) I know you are trying to find things that we will post to -- just trying to let you know that many of us won't be able to post to that type of contest. I'd be interested in the following types of posts:

o Your best trestle shot, whether real or modeled
o Your best tunnel shot, whether real or modeled
o If modeled, how you did it -- show us the work in progress with descriptions of how you modeled the pilings, etc. Points for originality
o Best downtown closeup scene -- showing HOW you modeled a certain view.
o Best lighting schema in a downtown setting (lighting, alleyway lighting, crossing lighting, etc.

I think the "how you did it" versus just the fact that you "did it" would be interesting. Perhaps this is not the scope of this contest, and if so, fine. :) :p :) Just my 2cents. :wave: :wave: These have probably already been done, and I just don't know it. :p
- Cab

Yep, I thunk how yar did it is one fine idea. Fer xample, if I saw a John Allen viaduct, I'de be itchin someum awful wantun to know just how yer did that----cause I sure ain't firgued it out yet.

zedob

Hey, I just got a great idea ;) ;) .

How about a "Photo Hack" contest?

simple rules:

1. Must be related to trains
2. Nothing dirty or obscene

I don't know if it would be best to have it only once a year, or make it a monthly running contest. Maybe the moderator could throw in the "mystery pic" to start it off, or it could be left to the members. Or, the members could send photos to the mods and let the mods pick the pic.

MS paint can be used. It's not the best program, but it's already on everyone's computer. Most members probably have a digital camera, so some sort of prog came with it, which would allow anybody who takes the time to learn it, to join in.

The good thing is, as members become proficient with their programs, they will become more creative and innovative with usage. I've already shown what I did with an old postcard and how I hacked it into a layout scene, which was a heck of alot faster than trying to draw it out by hand.

Of course, it would be fun, too.

Any input?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thanks zedob and the rest of you for your suggestion, these are things we could have fun with. :D:thumb:

Since taking over the photo contest, I've tried to follow the mods before me in mixing up the different contest subjects each month. I've also tried to be conscientious in choosing subjects that would be acceptable to the most people. Not everyone here has a layout, so my plan is to not have a layout shot contest every month. Some don't carry cameras with them as they travel and can't take railfanning pictures, so I don't want to cater just to those that do althoughthere will be months when we will have a contest for one or the other. But, like this month's contest, I've opened it up to any railroad related shot that has some humor in it, be it a layout or prototype. I'm trying to find out what others would like to see and get some new ideas so that more people can have fun entering these contests.

Winning isn't what it's all about, having fun doing it is, so let's hear from anyone else that has any ideas for future contests, and thanks to you that have given me new ideals already.:wave::wave:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
It would be pretty limiting, but what about a contest with both the model and the prototype in the same photo. Might get some interesting photos.

jmarksbery

:wave: I remember back a few years that one of the magizines had a monthly "Is it real or is it a model?" Could be fun and very interesting as well. Not giving the answers till the contest is over. Just a thought. :cool: Jim

ezdays

Out AZ way
Jim,

Thanks for your input. I'll add it to the other great ideas I've gotten from this thread. If anyone has anymore comments, please feel free to put them here. I am serious about getting everyone's views, comments and ideas. I think it will make for better and more fun contests.:D

Marxed

when you post polls for voting you really need to post all the pictures in that same thread soo people don't have to jump from thread to thread looking for the pictures.... i don't know who posted what and it makes it harder to vote... same goes with the winner thread, i seen who won but i don't know what they posted and i really don't want to have to go search for another thread somewhere, then search though that multible page post just to find out what should have been in that one post to begin with....

we could also do an annonmous contest where submissions are e-mailed and posted by whoever is incharge... then the people who submitted them are reveiled at the end