Opel blitz (GPM, 1:25)

Discussion in 'Armory & Military' started by mOONwOKA, Aug 7, 2008.

  1. mOONwOKA

    mOONwOKA Member

    Hello, everybody

    With the end of building in sight i finally decided to show a model, that took away year and a half of my life. It's Opel Blitz from GPM, fourth reincarnation, if i'm not mistaken. Here is the cover:

    When i say it took year and a half to build, i don't mean i have been actually building it all this time. I just got frustrated so many times, that i even stopped any modelling for months. By far i'm not the best modeller around, but there are so many many innacuracies in this kit, that simply cannot be made by modeller. For instance - the roof of drivers cabin was too small to cover the cabin even flat:
    Imagine this part bent to shape... Most puzzling is the fact that somebody from polish Konradus forum actually built this thing and it looks very nice and clean as if he didn't paint or even PhotoShop it.

    Anyway, back to my cardboard Frankenstein. It is almost completed, waiting for last few coats of paint on the front part to blend everything in. Then it's just licence plate, windshield wipers and "Opel blitz" logo on the front grill left to finish. First, the general views. Riveting was one of those self imposed horrors, that modellers seem to like very much.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    Here's closeup of the the front. The grille is far from perfect, thouh...

    Finally, the underside. This is where the most of scratchbuilding work is done. The engine, clutch and gearbox, for example, were represented by square bathtub. Jerrycan holder was made according to pictures from a different model of Blitz, but i decided it looks right enough. I also made break and fuel lines, exaust and some other small thingies. Now the underside certainly looks bether than the top. Maybe i should display it upside down?

    I hope to finish it in a week or so.
  2. joryyys

    joryyys Member

    You can still make a diorama of an auto-accident :D

    BTW: Frankenstein was the scientist, not the creature (why do people always forget that?)
  3. Dragos

    Dragos Active Member

    At least it wasn't a waste of time. The truck looks fantastic. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

    NULLMOON Member

    ACE! i love old gpm stuff
  5. Stev0

    Stev0 Active Member

    I think your missing the point. This is perfect for the model. I'm pretty sure after heavy use of driving off road and into things. Parts of the vehicle would be misshapen and rusty.

    The model shows a high level of work. Nice.
  6. mOONwOKA

    mOONwOKA Member

    It's finally finished!

    Overall views:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Front. I decided to add some "artistic impression" on the engine hood as if someone placed some sort of oily canister on it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    The paint chipping effect was done with gun metal and slightly buffed, but it kinda sticks out. I also "inflicted" some damage to the bumper and fender and battered licence plate for more shabby look.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    Here's closer look at the driver's cabin. I tried to imitate dusty windows by simply painting them over with very thin paint and then wiping with Q-tip - not too clean. What is not wisible is the hood of the engine. In the real thing engine did not intrude into cabin, but my scratchbuilt one just didn't fit, so i decided to cut through the cabin wall and add sort of engine cover. Since no one can see it anyway, i am the proud owner of this unique "highly customized" Blitz.

    Closer look at jerrycan holder and toolbox:

    Overall view at the bottom. In the instructions exhaust pipe should run straight and end behind rear axle. But i saw a picture of a Blitz, where exaust is bent to the side and thought it just looks cooler. Here is also visible steering mechanism, brake and fuel pipes, completely scratchbuilt engine and transmission - my pride and joy.

    Rear axle, showing brake lines. I made a blunder with this. The axle was supposed to be positioned so, that seams would face upwards and be invisible. Alas, i glued brake lines upside down and axle had to be reversed.

    Another view of the bottom:

    Better look at the engine and transmission (left) and rear axle (right):
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    Overexposed picture of the engine. I wanted to show exhaust collector, spark wires and other stuff, otherwise hidden by the eternal darkness of engine compartment.

    That's about it. Overall i am pleased with the end result. I should be, considering the time i spent on this thing. The driver's cabin is completely repainted and in different lighting it either sticks out or blends in very nicely. But i am not going to try addressing this issue. At least not for a while...
    IMHO this kit is a mess. Instructions are sparse and contradicting. E.g. they say to glue part 1H in two places, but the part itself is only one. Or they tell you to glue mudguards "do podlogi" (something like "to the bottom part", i guess), but the bottom part itself is quite big and without any placement markings. Templates for scratchbuilt parts are another horror story. All of them are drawn of the same diameter - even exhaust! Template XVIII in the written instructions is meant for spare wheel, while in diagrams it is shown for the spare wheel AND for the toolbox as well! I already complained about poor representation of the engine. Some of the parts, forming inner structure of the wheel are far too small and all of them slightly vary in size. And the list goes on... I don't think that i will build another one. Unless i am offered absolutely filthy amount of money and a year of my life back...

Share This Page