Oodles of Free Card Models on Japanese Site

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by paul_newf, Jan 14, 2006.

1. paul_newf

paul_newf New Member

Don't know if this has been posted, but I'll post it anyway before I loose the link:

Found a whole bunch of Free Card models here:
    Real nice ones :roll: . Buildings, Houses, Planes, Tanks, Cars, Gaming, everything.

Some of the ones I quickly tried needed a bit of scaling, but they all printed out real nice.

P.S. What's the proper height for a door in N-Scale :confused: . That's what I'm currently using when matching buildings to the scale when there's nothing else to go by.
    If anyone has compiled a list of conversions for the various modeling scale standards, please let me know :oops: , i.e. N, HO, O, RPG, other modeling and/or gaming standards.

Canadian lost in Japan :cry:
  2. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Here is a site with some information on scales.

Scale Information

Near the bottom of the page there is a section titled Converting Between Scale Types that could help you out in figuring how high a door in 'N' scale should be. The examples used are to determine the height of miniatures to fit a particular scale. It uses 1610mm as the height to the eyes of an average person and 1730 as the height to the top of the head.

We can use 2030mm as a rough idea for the height of an average exterior door. You would have to adjust that figure to fit the door height for a particular building. 'N' scale according to the chart on that web page is 1/160 or 10.06mm. So if my cypherin' is right 2030/160 gives 12.6875mm. Looks like 13mm would do for the height of an average exterior door.[​IMG]

Here is a calculator that might help you out.
    Hobby Calculator
  3. Darwin

Darwin Member

Converting to English units for the metrically challenged. The typical door is about 80 inches high. N-scale is about 1:160. Divide 80 by 160 and walla...the model's door is 1/2 inch high.
  4. 46rob

46rob Member

That's a nice website--lots of nice stuff. I was hoping to find a couple shotgun houses in the midst, but no luck....I'd like to add a bunch to my Nscale layout.
  5. paul_newf

paul_newf New Member

SCEoAux and Darwin, Thank you for the Answers, Greatly Appreciated. Being in Japan has left me out of touch with things like a real door on a western house, store, or Office (I tend to bump my head on to many doorways over here). No imperial rulers over here either, so I've been converting all to mm which I don't have a good feel for in relating numbers to actual heights. Mix that with past experience only in HO (N fits better in Japanese apartments), and I have no feel for how big something should be.

Rob, What are Shotgun Houses?

I've been Cutting & pasting a few single "row" houses into blocks of houses & store fronts. Are there any rules on this when I use other's free models as the basis? Should I refrain from sharing the result of such a mod, or is there a minimum acceptable set of changes that may it acceptable?
    Anyone seen any free samples of such so I can see how others formed the cutouts, especially the uneven roofs on the rows of buildings?

-Paul Newf
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Shotgun houses are a Southern American thang.......... usually houses that are very straight, with no additions side rooms. Just a plain ole straight house that you can shoot a shotgun from the front door and hit the back door and only hit the door. These are usually lined up very close to one another down a street in rows. Just think of a modern house trailer with no wheels and the front door on one end and back door on the other ends and rooms on each side of the hall between thew doors.

Hope this helps.

7. paul_newf

paul_newf New Member

Being Canadian I've never come across that term, but I have seen the cop movies that it can pertain to. Where I'm from we'd call it a bungalow.

Time to pull out the digital camera, but none like that over here in Japan - distinctly different building styles for both old and new.

If you can take a few decent quality shots of houses in your neightbourhood, maybe on an overcast day to remove the shadows, I could make up a few prints (jpg/pdf - jpg seem easier for others to scale or edit).

Corners lots may offer the needed side shots (1 side is enough). Maybe a few friends would let you take shots (with a camera!) from the back yard. Try for various colors and materials (siding, clapboard, brick, plaster, mixed, ...) and colours. You can play with the colors in a photo-program, but that's near impossible if you want to retain the natural weathering.

paul_newf_nospan@yahoo.com (remove the _no...)