Only the best

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by cbudach, Nov 22, 2006.

1. cbudach

cbudach New Member

I may be a bit out of the realism. I like 6" radius turns in N Gauge, I like over abundance of track in a small 8x11' footprint, I like the de-rails thru turnouts, and I like inter-modal with steam. Gomez Adams would be a good descriptor, in my crashes in cross-overs. BUT, I'm trying to work a new layout, 5.5' x 11.5', with 4 sep. track loops. Need to run 4 lash-ups in "N", changing levels, (4 levels), with ramps from 1-2-3-4, and 4 down to 1. Using 1/2 ply for base, jigsaw for grade changes. Don't want an ugly cookie cutter layout, but a flowing mountain pass mock-up. Not a lot of hiddenn track. Room for plenty of trestle, but not sure how to fit this in. Anybody doing this?Next:Why would anyone want HO? I like CUBS, Bears, Planes, and N. What else is there in life?Thanks!
  2. ejen34

ejen34 Member

Welcome aboard :thumb: How's your mood :) ? Thats a real intense paragraph!! I for one am starting to mix a bit of steam into inter-modal, oh I know -- heresy :p
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Welcome to The Gauge:wave:

I work in N and HO, my cat, "Mr. Fluffy" is an HOer on the other hand...

Attached Files:

4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

It's your layout. Do it the way you want. I've seen some really neat caricature type layouts with tight radius curves and all kinds of funny stuff. Once saw a toonerville trolly layout with what must have been 20 % grades.
  5. Why didn't I think of that? :curse: I love non-conformance...
  6. fifer

fifer Active Member

You by some obvious overlook forgot NASCAR!!!
    :) :wave:

Love new ideas , and as has been stated , it is your layout , love it!!
    Also Welcome!!!

7. 3railguy

3railguy Member

6" radius curves will limit your selection of engines and rolling stock drastically. 0-6-0 steam and 4 wheel switchers along with 34 ft boxcars are about all you could run. I would go no less than 9 3/4" radius with 12" radius being the norm. Especially with grades. You can easily fit 4 main lines on a 5.5 ft x 11 ft platform with these curves.

As far as your question as to why anyone would go with HO? I dunno. It's a nice scale to work with. Like you, people do what they feel like doing. One might ask why go with N scale?
  8. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

Have another coffee LOL :D
    Hello and welcome. Good to have you onboard.
    I hope you will be posting pics of your progress for us. :)
  9. Cbudach, I admit I really like your idea of a bunch of 6" radius curves jammed into a fantastic, rugged mountain scenery! So what if you can only run short engines and rolling stock? With a 4 lash up, you really could easily mount 10-15% grades and "reach the sky". I salivate at the prospect of huge elevation differences that enable dramatic gorges spanned by high trestles!
    I say, go do it!
    (And be sure to share it with us)