Online Lionel dealers

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by kfh227, Jan 15, 2008.

1. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Are there any? I can't seem to find places online to buy Lionel.
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

go to any online hobby shop that sells o scale, there are 1000,s of them.

lionel it self dont sell online, but there dealers do. use google
  3. Geno

Geno Member

I recommend Train Express- good prices and free shipping over $200 (about $7 if you spend less than $200). I ordered over $500 in Fastfack and accessories last November to build a layout for my nieces. They not only got the large order correct, it was shipped quickly and for free.

Train Express - Welcome
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I ordered my PE set from the first year it was introduced. I was impressed with them. I've also ordered from Charles Ro ( I'll have to check out Train Express.
  5. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Thank you for all the responses.

I ran accross a few places that sell O gauge, but alot of them do not sell Lionel. Well, that was my difficulty anyways.

Thanks, I'll be visiting the web sites mentioned now!
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

guess i have never seen one that did not sell lionel. (yet)
  7. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Charles Ro ( is quite impressive. I like that site the most.

Well, now i know what track will cost!
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer enough said
  9. Geno

Geno Member

I've made purchases from the other dealers mentioned so far (Charles Ro, Hobbystation) both were also good in terms of service and prices. Charles Ro is noteworthy in that they constantly send you updates on orders.

It took them over a year and a half to ship my Lionel UP SD-70MAC 'flag' diesel, but during that time I received no less than four order status updates.

Train Express has the best prices on Fastrack.

10. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Geno and all. Looking at the prices online, it looks like my LHS (local hobby shop) might be just as easy to go through. I might have to place an order which will take time, but atleast Ican put my hands on the stuff and know I am getting the right stuff. is near Boston. A 2-3 trip for me, but I might just do it. They have a picture of their store exterior and if that is any indication, it looks like it is the Disney World of trains.

The scary thing is that I researched track costs and wood costs and for what I am planning, I am easily into the $1000 neighborhood just for those items. I then have to add on an X-former, wire and the engine/consist. I'm easily approaching $2,000 for everything just for a 4 car train.

Thanks for all the input.
  11. Geno

Geno Member

I'd use Gargraves track for yout project- 160' of Fastrack or Atlas will cost you an arm and a leg. You can also get different sized curved sections (032, 042, 054, 063, 072, 080, 089, 096,106,113,120,128,138 )- or bend the flextrack with a jig to save even more money.

You may also want to consider a set with an engine you like, to save on costs- you can always buy more cars later.

12. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Agreed. And shop around for wire and connectors. McMaster-Carr probably has what you need cheaper than your local hardware store or worse yet, Radio Shack. Plus you can get creative. A friend of mine salvages wire from old Christmas light strands. When I throw out small appliances, I cut off the cord and toss it into a box. I always find a use--very quickly--for smallish random lengths of wire.
  13. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

You know Dave one of these days you are going to need a bigger house to save all of your saved stuff. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dave is a pretty good guy when it comes to tips on how to save money. BTW I do like your new Train site.

I'm a 100% member of the pack rat club. However I find most farmers to be the same way since we try to save every dollar we can. I am reusing boards that are well over 100 years old. They have been through many uses since they were cut from those old trees, but fire wood isn't one use they will see soon.

As a matter of fact some of that lumber is now in my layout framing. They just don't make 2 x 4's the way they use too.
  14. Geno

Geno Member

Nothing wrong with that- I see alot of waste on the jobsites I work on, it's no wonder the price of building materials is so high.

I scavenge when it's possible and allowed, but I limit that activity because I already have too much material in my garage already.

15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

McMaster-Carr!!! got to love them, they keep me employed! at my work we make a lot of the things they sell. lots of carts and trailers. john deere and GM has been helping to keep me employed as well.
  16. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Thanks, Renovo. Pretty much any business owner (at least those who want to stay in business) is that way. Glad you like the site. I'm planning a cool project but I odn't know when I'll get shots of it up on the site. May be a few weeks.
  17. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Anyone ever buy from train world online?

18. Geno

Geno Member

Trainland has recently come under scrutiny due to their previous policy regarding the new TMCCII Big Boys- they sold these engines without including the free Legacy control system, despite Lionel's advertising in the Lionel 2006 vol.2 catalog (free Legacy with the purchase of a Big Boy). Customers who inquired about the free Legacy system were told that if they didn't pre-order the Big Boy they had to buy the Legacy system separately.

A few customers managed to obtain their Legacy system from Trainworld after they reversed their policy, but the damage was already done- word in the O gauge community about this unethical business practice spread on this and other O gauge model train forums.

Would I buy from them? Not a chance- and I typically spend about $3k-$5 a year on trains. I'm sure they lost afew more customers who spend alot more than that.

19. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Thanks for the reply. Was this something Lionel was doing only for pre-purchases? AS fate would have it, i do in fact want a big boy ... go figure. Not sure if I'll get the 8-10 foot diameter I need.
  20. Geno

Geno Member

If you're in the market for a Big Boy II, look around- there are still some dealers who have it. And the vast majority of them will give you the Legacy package when you buy the Big Boiy.

BTW, Gargraves does sell curved sections up to 12' in diameter.