One way to acquire kitbashing pieces...

Zman

So I'm building a signal tower and as I cut one of the windows off the frame, it slips under the exacto knife, launches into the air and does a perfect double somersault into the furnace vent - not an inch over, not an inch shy. :curse:

My options were a) tear apart the furnace ducts, or b) buy the model again for the one bleepin' window. The title of this thread tells you which direction I decided to go.

Option 4: Get mold & casting material (like that sold by Smooth-on.com.) This assumes you still have an identical window to create a duplicate from.

You'll then have your window, experience & a new modeling technique.

Wayne

Zman

It was the only window of its size on the building, and I can't rightly board it up as it faces three turnouts. I don't want any casualties among my little people!

No big deal though, I found the kit on ebay for a sawbuck.

CalFlash

We all pull dumb stunts at one time or another. Mine was a dilly. I bought my first brass (steam) engine from a guy trying to trade it in at a hobby shop. They didn't want it because he didn't have the original box and had filed the flanges off the center 2 sets of drivers (2-8-4 configuration). I bought it figuring it was cheap enough for practice. Little did I know...

I was getting ready to paint the thing and put it in the blender figuring it was a good way to clean it. I put a screened piece over the blades keeping the engine out of their path. The phone rang so I shut off the blender so nothing would happen while I was distracted. After getting off the phone, I turned the blender back on and the instant surge threw the engine out of the blender and onto the floor severly bending the cab roof. Bottom line I got a LOT of experience on that engine! And that folks, is how I learned to work on brass!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
AAHHHH, yes, the "window" of opportunity for a slam dunk "registered" clearly!

I don't think there are too many of us who go out and buy parts for our spare parts box. I know that mine is filled with the remains of mistakes I've made! BUT, I look at my spare parts box as the price I had to pay, to learn how to build models, and every part I use, is a return on my investment.
Pete

Tileguy

Leave it out and put a couple workmen and sawhorses by it.Scaffold if its second floor.
You just have to be outsmart those wayward pieces ;)

Zman

Hey, CalFlash, what the devil are you talking about? You put an engine in a blender to clean it off?!

Is this some kind of ancient Chinese secret, or are you pulling a newbies leg as an April fool's joke?