One sad news about

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by junjin, Jan 22, 2007.

1. junjin

junjin New Member

Hi all,

I am Jin Jun from and I am very sad and sorry that I have to let you know about a tragedy for
    As some of you already knew, we lost our entire database last Friday night.
    It happened when one of our staffs tried to renew our site and he dropped the database accidently.
    We have talked with someone in charge of the server and we agreeded that there is virtually no possibility to recover it.

Currently we are discussing whether we would recover the site using the last backup, around 2006 Jan., or would go back to the one of the Korean portal community service, 'Naver cafe'. If we decide to enter the 'closed' community service, I am afraid that no foreign members could be accepted just because they,, need Korean SSN too and there is no alternative way which I gave you guys.

I have been getting numurous concerning emails and messages from this group and I really appreciate that. It has been really supportive for me.

Again, thanks for all the supports and concerns.

2. Alcides

Alcides Member

I'm really sorry about that.As DBA my coworkers complaint about I always want a backup before to do nothing in a production database but is the only way to have security about don't lost nothing.

I was just registered and I was began to explore the site. :cry:

Excuse me but just curious: Why you always needs the SSN number? It's some legal issue?

3. junjin

junjin New Member

Hi Alcides,

About SSN, it has been required in order to check wheter the requester is valid citizen or whether any previous registration before, in most of Korean sites. Now people started complaining about the risk of being internet forgery victim and the some laws have been made to protect users private information. However still lots of sites require SSN for authentication purpose. And mostly Korean sites assumed that foreigners would not be interested in their sites.
    I don't think there is any legal issue.
  4. xyberz

xyberz Member

Such sad news as I've found a lot of great models through your site.

It seems that the Korean community is a lot more interested in the type of models that I have tastes for.

I hope that this is not the last effort Finalpaper as there really is no American version of your site available.

It would would be a truly great loss if your efforts revert you back to Cafe Naver which no outsiders would be able to share. :cry:
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Such a good site ... such a horrible loss. :(

I hope you guys can rebuild.
  6. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

What a loss... I had assume that every forum has an auto-backup system...
  7. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Yeah Nezard, it is called a Human

unless some script is written that once a week, or even once a day that script compresses everything on the site, and stores it, most likely a human has to have some hands on time with that process

8. Buki

Buki Member

my heretic advise: please run some minimal server on and there present an appeal to anybody who grabbed whole website to post the images and schemas (I estimate that the whole is thesaured in many personal "collections").

Then restore to the mentioned backup from January 2006 and try to complete the rest.

9. Bad_Scorpion

Bad_Scorpion Member

sorry to hear about the site being down I usually frequent the site for new content but hadn't recently. I know I have lots of the content from your site as stated by others. And would be willing to help where I can, if you decide to run the site again from the backup. But, sounds like you are looking more to the other option which would be a shame. But, do what you need to do. Good luck.

Issue like this is why I now have several 250 Gb hdds that I back up things to as well as burn to dvd data disc. The backup Hdd does not get run unless backing up. Otherwise sits turned off in their external case so less risk of becoming an integrity issue.
  10. oldspirit

oldspirit Member

I hope this isn't considered cross posting.

:confused: Accidents happen and times change. I can accept it but I don't have to like it. will be missed. All I can say is that I wait in anticipation for the bigger, better

...even if doesn't come back, don't kill the dream man! Don't kill the dream!!!

Much respect,
  11. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

WHOA! This statement leads me to believe that is not getting backed up regularly.... Hope it gets backed up weekly at least - prefferably daily!

Its my job to ensure our companies servers get backed up. Roughly 1200 corporate servers and 1500 agency servers. Almost everyone of these has a database of some type. We use a variety of techniques to do these backupsbased on the type of server and the info it holds. I run our departmental forum off of my secondary machine at work and back it up nightly using the built in windows backup. Only drawback there is the machine needs to be logged in to open the network connection to the machine I am backing up too - no biggie.

In short - BACK UP the server!

now back on topic.

You guys have a huge following! Personally I would start over on a new server that can cater more easily to a range of countries. New site, new programming - the works. Take a bit longer to get going but with all your members helping bring the content back it would be awesome!
  12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

I think Peter does all that, there are certain things I leave alone :)

13. junjin

junjin New Member

Thank you all for supporting and concerning.

Basically will not exist anymore. The community moved to the naver cafe already and they started to recover the models and other stuffs using their own data and downloaded data. I appreciate that your generous and kind suggestion of helping to recover the data, but it will be very difficult to post your data to the naver cafe. Thank you very much though.

By the way, probably we are going to run a temporary web site with the final backup data (at 1/25/2006), but it will be only for the members at that time. Even though is redirected to this temporary site, it will not be accessible for others.

Again, I am very sorry and sad for us and you guys.

Thank you all.

14. xyberz

xyberz Member

:shock: I am deeply saddened to hear such grave news. :sad:

It will now be that much harder to find the types of models that Koreans enjoy as much as I do. Not that there's anything wrong with typical American paper models. It's just not my cup of tea.

:idea: Maybe someone should start a multi-lingual paper modeling site for people of many different nations so all can enjoy, not just certain countries.

Also I'm sorry to hear that Korea sites have such strict standards. I can't seem to understand why such restrictions have to be made in order to visit Korean websites. The internet is meant to share information at all ends of the earth and not constricted to certain areas or for only certain groups of people.

Hopefully one day that may change so we may be able to visit Korean sites as easily as we visit any other site.
  15. WonderWheeler

WonderWheeler New Member