One or 2 loops around my living room ???

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by hooknlad, Apr 24, 2007.

1. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Question: I would like to run My G scale trains around the perimeter of my living room, above the door ways. My initial plans was to mount the track on a 10 inch wide piece of Pine with adequate support. Now while looking at the room, I would now like to run 2 simultaneous G scale tracks around the top perimeter of the room..

So here is the question : What width Pine would be adequate to undertake such endeavor? I know this answer probably revolve around the length of the trains to be used etc etc etc.... I will be using the basic bachmann 4-6-0 PRR steam engine with the standard passenger cars that came with this set.

Any help would be appreciated. Should I just be happy with the one loop of track in the room and count my blessings that I am able to do just that.

Thanx for your anticipated cooperation in this matter.. :wave:
  2. paceway

paceway New Member

The width will depend on the radius of the curves. 7" between track centers is recommented but I would go to 8" just to be safe. Those Bachmann passenger cars are pretty long and on a tight radius they may hit each other while passing. The only way to find out is to try it out on a couple of track sections.

Another problen you may run into is you may not be able to see the inside train with a wide solid board for the base. It would be a lot more work but look much better if you but long ties on stringers then mounted the sections to the wall. You will be able to see the inside train from below.
  3. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

More than likely I will go with the one track - on 10 inch Pine.... If I like it, I will convert them to DCC and have several run on the same track.
  4. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Don't forget to locate those structural members in the wall (studs). Use adequate supports for the shelving. Do you have authority from the top management to do this?
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

G scale... holy cow,,,

heres something to think about tho.

i did this with O scale on 8" wide pine. theres BARELY enough room for 1 train.

the problem comes in where you get to the corners.
  6. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I'm with Jim...The advice here may be great...But what about the CEO..??
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

A G scale shelf layout would be awesome!
    Keep us posted!
  8. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Pine boards are notoriously prone to warpage and you might be better off
    with plywood. I think the Home Depoy will rip it for you. Also, paceway suggested stringers instead of shelves, which might be a good idea. The corners you just radius as wide as you want. Would you use any kind of guardrail to prevent a derailment from becoming a disaster? Or do G-scale trains never derail?? :)