One of the Last Steam Locomotives built

Virginian

Um...thought I'd fish this puddle for a bit.
I'm starting a search for An N scale 2-6-6-4
Class A locomotive. N&W built the last one in their Roanoke Va. shops in 1950. Kinda a birth day present for yours truly.
biggrin.gif
( I was born in Roanoke in Feb. 1950).
So if I could find such an engine, it would be the star of my developing pike, at least when running'59 or earlier.
A famous photo by O. Winston link features N&W's #1242,the very loco in question, runnin' through the background of a drive-in movie,cir.1957.( I want a poster of that photo too!)
If I could find any 2-6-6-4, by any maker, I might be able to rebuild it to come close to the A, someday, anyway...I have a lot to learn, craftwise, first. (And if I find it in HO, I'm switchen' scales, fast!!!
eek.gif
)
Any way, if anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.
Thanks
VGN

[This message has been edited by Virginian (edited 03-05-2001).]

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Virginian, The only N-scale I have ever seen apart from the BIG BOY was a 2-6-6-2 Y6B
both made by that well know person "River Rossi"
biggrin.gif

Virginian

Hi shamus
Well, N&W used a lot of Y6B's too. I'll keep my eyes open for one. Do you happen to know if Rossi still makes them? I've seen that name on "Manufacturer" lists, so I assume the 'person' has a company, but I infer that this was maybe a custom built Loco...???
Your reply prompts me to get on down to the town of Petaluma (between here and San Francisco) to buy the Bachman 4-8-4 (Santa Fe) they had on sale, and now going-out-of-business 30% off of that. It doesn't 'proto fit' my pike, but at about $55, tax included,I'll run excursions.
wink.gif

Seems I'm going to get some Peco turnouts on sale after all!
biggrin.gif

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Virginian,
Rivarossi I believe still make the Big Boy and the Y6b, I had both when I was into N. (long time ago)

shamus

Virginian

oops! I'm starting to catch on to some of your word play shamus...but I've been known to be incredibly gullible. Rivarossi!!!oh boy!
rolleyes.gif
and I thought I was the 'pun' master!!!
So, I'll start looking for a Y6B made by "River Rossi". Who knows, maybe that'll be the 'guy' that comes out with the 'A' I'm dreaming of
biggrin.gif

VGN
cool.gif

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
In addition to others mentioned, Rivarossi also made a 2-8-8-2 Mallet. I have one of them in N gauge but don't know if they are still available. This one runs like a dream and has a large motor in it that consumes much more current than my other locos.

Robin

Virginian

Hi Robin,
thanks for the info...when was your Mallet made? That's another on my list. The VGN used 2-8-8-2's to haul coal out of the mountains up until about 1950 or shortly there after. They dieselized sooned than N&W; didn't build their own locomotives as N&W did. If you have any other info on your 'power house',ie., road name,#, manufacture skew #,I'm going to be getting in touch with Rivarossi to see if they still make those babies! Thanks again, guys!
VGN