One Of My Past Builds: 23' Flatcar

C&O Fan

Feb 13, 2006
Maryland, USA
Hello,
I like to share a build I did about 4 years ago. I got the idea from the "Scratchbuilding a small flatcar" how-to in Paul Templar's Badger Creek Lumber Company web site. Unlike the car in the how-to, I customized mine with additional detail. The deck is scribed basswood, and basswood strips make up the sills and other framework. The Center beams, however, are oak strip. The stake pockets are pieces of brass square tubing, and the U-bolts securing them are fine copper wire. The stirrip steps are strips of aluminum from a Big-K pop can cut thin and bent into shape. The grab irons and brake staff are from lengths of shark leader. The brake wheel is from Cal-scale, and the small gear at the base of the staff is from an old wrist watch. It uses Kadee #58 couplers and rides on Walthers archbar trucks. I hope you all enjoy.

Attachments

• flat car.jpg
    flat car.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 190

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Excellent work! That's inspiring! :)

-Could you take a picture of the underside please?
-Any plans to build another, if so, could you make a tutorial on this site?
-Do you have a link to the site?
-Also, could you take a photo of the end frame on the brakewheels' side please?

Thank you if you can.

Fantastic workmanship! Hope to see some more pics!

C&O Fan

Feb 13, 2006
Maryland, USA
Thank you for the complements. :)

Miles:

The site where I found the car tutorial is http://www.all-model-railroading.co.uk/amr/index.htm . When you get to that page, chick on "Lets make things" on the left side. From there, you will find the link for "Make a Flatcar" along with other how-to builds you may find interesting. I do not have any other pictures of the car at this time, but I can take some and post them soon. A tutorial sounds like a good idea. I'll try to do one in the near future.

C&O Fan

Feb 13, 2006
Maryland, USA
Thanks everyone. As requested, I included pictures of the undercarriage and brake end. There are no additional brake detail, and the sills are a little wide. I will remedy those in the next build.

Attachments

• camera 206.jpg
    camera 206.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 189
  • camera 204.jpg
    camera 204.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 178