One of mine

C

Catt

Thought I might post some pics (or scan in this case) of some of my rolling stock projects.This is the first one I found the rest are in storage at the moment.

0n30hopr.jpg

Ok brief description is ,two bay steel hopper 25'6" long 7'6' wide,and 8'3" from top of rail head to top of carside.

Things left to do include new stirrups maybe new ladders and possibly moving the trucks closer to the ends of the car.Needs a brakewheel too.

More info if you've read this far. yjr trucks are Bachmann 0n30 the couplers are Kaydee #5s,and the body is AC Gilbert American Flyer S gauge.

After looking at the scan again I am definately moving the trucks.

Oh yeah,after thinking about this project for more than a year I have almost 15 minutes invested so far. :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice looking conversion, Catt! :thumb:
Can't wait to see it finished!
In addition to moving the trucks, I think some O scale grabs/ladders would be a nice addition! :cool:

C

Catt

Charlie,the grabs allready measure in at 15"in 0 scale so I think they are ok.The stirrups on the other hand (foot :D ) need some work.

I've already got the trucks moved out and right now I'm working on getting the couplers at the right height.

I'm gonna be looking for preformed dropped grabs in 0 scale. Has anybody got any idea of who makes them?Or sells them?

I need a brake wheel too,since AF didn't bother with that little detail.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Nice lookin' rollin' stock, Jonathan. I've had the same trouble with trucks after cutting down passenger cars. Also had the compound miter saw "grab" one of the roofs, suck it in, and shred it into a billion pieces. The roofs are kinda gummy and flexy, so it grabbed, yet brittle enough to shatter. first rollin' stock I lost to power tools :(

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Catt,
A great start there. For good looking detail parts, check out Grandt Line detail parts. They have ladders, stirrup steps and brake wheels. Are you using the Bachmann standard, HO coupler height, or the On3 coupler height?
Greg

C

Catt

Greg,current plan is to use the Bachmann height which is standard HO.The only problem is with this car that box has to go down a long ways.

I'm concidering swapping out the Bachmann wheels for a smaller diameter wheel to help bring the car down.

I don't know why I didn't think of Grandt Line for detailing parts.

I can see these cars getting expencive in a hurry. :D