One more addition to my already expanding locomotive collection

FiveFlat

Dec 26, 2005
Galt, CA
I've always really loved steam, and as new as I am to MRR, I've kinda gotten into these transition era diesels. This one just showed up today in the mail. I still have on the way, yet to arrive:
Con-Cor PA1
Life Like E8

These are my new Bachmann Spectrum F7A and B both powered:
head_on.jpg
angle.jpg
side.jpg

FiveFlat

Dec 26, 2005
Galt, CA
I've got another question. On my Bachmann Standard Prarie 2-6-2 in that photo above, is that supposed to be a working light?

FiveFlat

Dec 26, 2005
Galt, CA
Okay, so I really like these units, they are pretty identical as far as speed and they sure are quiet runners, etc. But I also have a B-mann standard Prairie 2-6-2 and it runs like a DREAM down around 15-20% (I really like seeing trains crawl around bends, etc). But these F-units are spectrums and they need to be up around 50-60% to just crawl. What's the story Richie?

I don't have alot of rolling stock yet to compare pulling power, etc. So all I am going by is just the engine (or engineS in this case)

coaster

Jan 13, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
Sounds like you're ahead of the game with the Prairie. Those standard Bachmanns have been notoriously inconsistent over the years: they either run like dreams or nightmares; you lucked onto one of the dreams. As regards the F units, the problem might be nothing more than more break-in time needed. (My motto: go for the simple fix first hamr.)

-- Paul

skipgear

May 15, 2005
Break in time and the fact that you are now running two powered loco's on the same track so it will take more amperage to get them both rolling, thus a higher throttle range for starting. Try just one at a time and see if the starting throttle is considerably lower.

FiveFlat

Dec 26, 2005
Galt, CA
skipgear, They are on separate tracks, sorta. I have the tracks double insulated and I'm using an MRC dualpower 2800.
As I recall (2-3 weeks is all it's been ;) ) my Prairie needed more throttle at first too. But I think around 50% it was really humming around the track. Now that it's broke-in, at 50% it's really zooming around.
The F units are alot heavier than the little steamer too. I'll give it a few more weeks running and see if it improves.