One last thing................. Walthers Trainline Locos

alexbnfan

Hi,

Tommorow, i shall be off to sydney, and among other things will be having, among other things, a few visits to some Hobby Shops

Anyway, there is this one shop that has lots of specials including a few Walthers trainline locos.

I'm most interested in the GP15 and GP9.

so, my choice is go with the walthers, or save up a few more dollars and buy an Athearn.

which one should i do?

Thanks
Alex

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
To my knowledge, Walthers is the only one with a GP15-1. Athearn is supposed to be releasing an MP15AC. The GP9, take your pick, or go with whichever is in stock.

alexbnfan

oops!!!! i made a mistake. I'm in the market for a light duty Road Switcher, and dont care about which model i go with. just as long as its a light duty loco. So i dont care weather its a GP15 or a GP9 , Athearn or Walthers, just as long as it runs well

so, there is nothing wrong with the Trainline loco?

thanks
Alex

Glen Haasdyk

There's nothing wrong with trainline. I had a couple trainline FA-1s and their drivetrain was identical to an athearn unit(blue box)

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
About the only thing I can say about the Trainline locos is the detail is all cast on the shell, and tends to be a bit coarser than the new Athearn and Atlas locos.

They run quite well, as they have a heavy cast shell and a flywheel. So if you're not worried too much about looks and fine detail, go for it.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
sumpter250 said:
To my knowledge, Walthers is the only one with a GP15-1. Athearn is supposed to be releasing an MP15AC. The GP9, take your pick, or go with whichever is in stock.

Smokey valleyt makes a GP15-1 kit for the various types of GP15s, although the parts are not always all in stock.

xpt rail

alexbnfan said:
oops!!!! i made a mistake. I'm in the market for a light duty Road Switcher, and dont care about which model i go with. just as long as its a light duty loco. So i dont care weather its a GP15 or a GP9 , Athearn or Walthers, just as long as it runs well

so, there is nothing wrong with the Trainline loco?

thanks
Alex
Hello Alex Good to see we have a another aussie in the forums.I usually visit the hobby shops in western sydney and although they have american train items they tend to lean towards english and european models which is anoying.Could you please post the name and location of the hobby shop you are going to visit.Thanks peter

brakie

alexbnfan said:
OK. i'll get the Walthers one. thanks for your help

I have a love/hate relationship with my 3 GP15-1s..I love the way they run but, I hate the Cotton picking handrails!! I am yet to find a glue that will hold the hand rails on for more then 6 weeks.:curse:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
I don't know where you will find a walthers GP15-1. I have not seen any with my own eyes the entire time i've been modeling, and it seems like alot of them went out of production right when i started.

If anyone sees a conrail one, let me know. for now i'm going to have to order the smokey valley kit, which should be fun anyway.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Smokey valleyt makes a GP15-1 kit for the various types of GP15s, although the parts are not always all in stock.

Smokey Valley released their GP15 kit about ten minutes after I completed my kitbash of C&NW # 4416. it was a while later before they released the C&NW version.
931-350 is the C&NW version with the internal air filters (undec). They have been out of production for quite some time. The hobby shop where I got mine has been out of business for at least seven years.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Walthers doesn't even list it on their website anymore. My guess is it's out of production. Ebay or a fleamarket, or someone's old stock, I guess.

Berg's in Sydney says they carry Proto2000, so you could find a geep or RS-something there.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Smokey Valley GP15s are atill available on walthers. the only parts for them that are not available are the handrail sets for all of them, but i can make these with wires and seperate stanchions. other parts to power them would have been needed seperately anyway.

i probably should grab the important components of this kit while i can. except for a big with the nose, its probably the best plastic GP15-1 out there.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The smokey valley kit, is not the easiest kit to build, but if it is the only GP15 out there, so be it. The kitbash I did, started as an Athearn GP38-2. The frame got shortened, the long hood was sanded clean of detail, and shortened, then Cannon doors went on the long hood, left over tunnel motor parts were added, and finally the fun of all the louvers. It turned out fairly well, being the first diesel kitbash I ever tried.

Attachments

• 4416_rightside.jpg
    4416_rightside.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 44

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
sumpter250 said:
The smokey valley kit, is not the easiest kit to build, but if it is the only GP15 out there, so be it. The kitbash I did, started as an Athearn GP38-2. The frame got shortened, the long hood was sanded clean of detail, and shortened, then Cannon doors went on the long hood, left over tunnel motor parts were added, and finally the fun of all the louvers. It turned out fairly well, being the first diesel kitbash I ever tried.

thats pretty cool! I want to try kitbashing stuff one day, but i wouldn't even know where to start, lol. baby steps i guess! i'm sorta kit bashing some frames i have for a GP40FH-2 and E60CP, but its tough.