one for doctor wayne

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello everyone---recently out-shopped cnr h-6-d ten-wheller#1533 rolls past the coaling tower---this locomotive was custom painted and the coal bunker modified by doctor wayne---thanks doc,she's a beauty

1533007.jpg

1533011.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, Bob, and thanks to my friend nutbar for posting this. Of all of Professor Nutbar's beautiful locomotives, this one is my favourite.
Andrew, the 1533 was formerly CNR 1325, and before that Canadian Northern 1325, an H-6-d built in 1910/11, by the Montreal Locomotive Works. Cylinders were 22"x26", with a boiler pressure of 180 pounds. With 63" drivers, the 1325/1533 had a haulage rating of 30%. (CNR's way of expressing 30,000 lbs. of tractive effort.)
Bigsteel, this model came with a removeable oil bunker, as some of these locos served in western Canada. With that removed, there is a modelled coal bunker, but no side extensions, so we hunted through nutbar's collection of CNR books, looking for photos that showed either the 1325, 1533, or any other loco with a similarily built-up bunker. We finally found sufficient photos that showed all sides of the extension, allowing an accurate copy to be made from strip styrene. It was surprising to me, though, how many different styles were used on the various Ten Wheelers.
The prototype 1533-2 (this is the second use of this number for a CNR Ten Wheeler - the first was on an I-4-a, built in 1904 and scrapped in 1925) is still in existence, at least according to the reference that I have available, in Chester, Pa., on the New Hope & Ivyland RR, and is owned by United Scale Models. (Mister Nutbar may be able to update this info.) According to my source, there are a total of 11 CNR 4-6-0s of various classes still around.

Wayne

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Sweet looking loco!
Hey, Doc... You interested in doing some fantasy work?
I want to get an undecorated F7 and do it in modern BNSF paint. :cool:

cn nutbar

Dec 4, 2005
hello all---thanks for all the responses and especially doctor wayne for providing all the detailed info.and pictures---as with most of my locomotives,i have tried to number them to match locomotives that are still in existence---#1533 is on the roster of the New Hope and Ivyland as doc indicated.actually this model was originally painted some time ago by doctor wayne and was then numbered #1397.at that time it was moderately weathered.after wayne had painted some other locomotives for me in a "recently out-shopped" mode,i asked him to re-do this engine in the same fashion---it was also re-numbered at that time.the tender received an new extended bunker as well---wayne even scribbed the styrene to make it look like wood---i don't think the photos pick up this feature,but believe me,he did an outstanding job---here's another shot of #1533---thanks again,nutbar

19032002.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wayne,

Thanks for all that info... I am becoming more and more interested in the corresponding prototype locos to what I have, and what they did in real life.

My current interest is a ten-wheeler that worked in Algonquin Park - #1337. It was renumbered into the 1500 series in mid 1950's. The Bachmann ten-wheeler is a good approximation of the CNR engines that come from CNor, but they were numbered into the 1320's not 1330's...! So I have a correct number, but a "wrong" looking loco. Oh well - I am getting closer...! :)

Someday I am going to have to send it to you to get things right...! ;) :D

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Cannonball said:
Sweet looking loco!
Hey, Doc... You interested in doing some fantasy work?
I want to get an undecorated F7 and do it in modern BNSF paint. :cool:

Sorry, Cannonball, I somehow missed this earlier. Wouldn't that look quite similar to the old Great Northern scheme? :rolleyes: :D
Thanks for considering me to do the paint job, but I'm so far behind on things, I may never catch up. I have 6 major steam loco rebuilds (plus paint, of course), 3 more for minor work or repairs, and another two steam loco paint jobs. Then there's that layout to get busy on! :rolleyes: :D
Andrew, the H-6-d locos (like the one pictured) were originally numbered from 1323 to 1342, while the earlier (1907-10) and also from Canadian Northern, H-6-c class were numbered from 1278 to 1322. I'm not familiar with the appearance of these latter locos, but the Bachmann Ten Wheeler is quite a bit smaller than the H-6-d class. That said, in the absence of any other available model, why not just "go for it". If the loco that you want to model has piston valves, as opposed the the slide valves of the Bachmann loco, and you're not in too big of a rush, I'm modernising both of my Bachmann Ten Wheelers with piston valves, and will post some pictures when I do the conversion. I've already finished one, and have the parts (made from sheet and strip styrene) ready for the second one. It's an easy conversion, and I'll show a step-by-step (eventually). :rolleyes:

Wayne