On30 to S scale

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by leedem, Nov 17, 2004.

1. leedem

leedem New Member

Is it possible to change a
    Bachmann On30 2-6-0 to
    S scale?
    How can I go about this? :D
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Are you asking if you can make it run on S gauge track, or if you can modify the bodywork to S scale?
    As is, HO track works out to Sn40. You can probably find some S scale parts for the cab (or scratch build one). S is 75% of O gauge, so you may need to make a generous cab.
    If you want to run it on S gauge track, you have to move the wheels out about 1/4". This will involve new axles, revised pickups, shifting any cylinders out, and probably look silly when you're done.
  3. hminky

hminky Member

I tried it. You will need a new frame, because pushing the axles out makes the mechanism bind:curse: with the original narrow frame:eek: . I would make a consolidation out of it using Bowser 69" HO drivers with a new frame using their Northern side rods. The cylinders just need a styrene spacer. It looks pretty good as an S scale loco. The cab just needs to be lowered at the windows. I now model On30:thumb: , saw the light working on the engine.
    Just a thought:D
  4. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

There was an article some years back in an S scale magazine. It involved the widening of the wheels, frame and steam cylinders. IIRC a new cab was used and a switcher type pilot replaced the cow catcher. Made for a nice small steam engine. If you want to do narrow gauge on the cheap, it can be used as is for Sn42 gauge. A new cab or rebuilding of one on the engine would be a nice touch. The Bachmann trucks would be a tad large IMHO but usable. The HO arch bar trucks would be a tad small but again useable.

Harold the tip about the Bowser HO 69" drivers is a good one. I hadn't looked into what they have for drivers but using large HO drivers for S with new axles sure is a quick way for some good drivers. Thanks.