On30 ties

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by farmer ron, Dec 4, 2002.

1. farmer ron

farmer ron Member

I am doin up a small diorama in On30 and I am going to hand lay the track. What ties do you use? I borrowed a few O scale ties from a friend and they look too long when I spike down the track. I also spike down some track on HO scale ties, regular and bridge, and does not look too bad. Any suggestions??
    A group of us in our area are thinking of getting together in doing a modular On30 layout so I will be handlaying track on my module also. Thanks in advance for the help. Ron..
  2. Catt

Catt Guest

If I were to hand lay my On30 track I think I would use scale 4"x6" x 5 1/2 to 6' long.I would use code 100 rail cause just about every LHS stocks ATLAS code 100 HO flex track,and you end up with a ready supply of rail,:D
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I think some of the narrow gauge lines used standard gauge cut in half. You might consider using the same overhanf that standard gauge has, although I think narrow gauge had it a bit longer. Standard HO track ties are too narrow and too close -- you could cut them apart.
  4. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

On30 Ties...

Hi, Ron!

I believe that prototype ties are 6 inches tall, 9 inches wide, and 8 feet in length, with narrow gauge usually being about 6 feet long.

In O scale, this works out to about 1/8" by 3/16" by 1 1/2". I am working on the same thing, and if I ever get on with it, will post a picture.
  5. Lighthorseman

Just A Quick Setup...

Here are a couple of pictures of my On30 handlaid track plans. These are just placed for a quick picture.

The ties are 3/16" by 3/16" (9 by9 scale inches), and 1 1/2" (6 feet) long. I just buy a length of basswood at my LHS and cut it into strips. As you can see, I haven't even stained the ends of the ties yet.:D

I am using 3/16" square, as I am planning to place them directly on sheet cork, and then ballast, as placing the ties on prefab cork roadbed just seems to look like WAY too much ballast. I'm hoping to convey a sort-of minimalist "just-throw-the-thing-down-and-get on-with-it" type narrow gauge idea.:confused: :confused:

Attached Files:

6. Lighthorseman

A Top View...

Here's a shot from overhead. In these pictures, the rail is Altas code 100, although I plan to use code 83. While the ties look way too tall, they will be imbedded in ballast, hopefully making them look properly sized.

Attached Files:

7. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Ron, I think that it would depend on what the theme of the layout was gonna be. For example: If the road is going to carry a good bit of freight and passenger traffic you would want fairly even and consistent ties. On the other hand, say a logging operation, the ties could be rather irregular and unevenly spaced. In fact many logging operations used logs just split in half for ties and sorta laid "helter skelter". The reason some railroads were narrow gauge was the cost of construction and ties would be one area where they would have "cut corners".

Something that might be fun to do would be to get some wood stock and cut ties to various lengths and thickness and determine which size looks best for your particular situation. Considering that you are going to hand lay the rails you could come up with some fantastic looking track. I'd go with what looked right to me.
  8. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I used 6" X 9" X 6' ties, with code 100 rail. The bridgw ties are 6" X 6" X 6'.

Attached Files: