On30 standards.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I guess I'm pointing this question in Catt's direction, "just because".
My local hobby shop had a Bachmann "narrow gauge express" on 40%off sale, so,,,,,, I now have an On30 Mogul, three passenger cars, two flats, and an excuse for a caboose. ( a power pack, that doesn't want to keep running, and a loop of EZtrack, which, unless I decide to run it around the Christmas tree, I will never use.)
So, Catt, or anyone else, Have there been any standards established for On30, or is it kinda like still in the toy category. One of the reasons I ask is, the couplers on the B'mann equipment,are HO easymates, and are set up at the standard height for HO scale equipment (to accomplish this, the knuckles are offset down from the shank). This is about a scale 1'-6". Most Narrow gauge equipment has the coupler height at about 2'-3"(which seems easier for the brakeman to reach, 1'-6" causes a lot more bending over). Also, has anyone come up with a clearance gauge(like the NMRA gauges).
Catt, are you leaving the couplers at the lower height, or bringing them up where they belong. The coupler on the pilot of the Mogul is 2'-3", and doesn't match anything else.
If standards have not been set, I will procede, following more prototype practices. In any event, I'm switching to Kadee #5s, and clipping the pins.
Pete

PS, I've removed the buildings from the old modules, and am repairing the minor damage. Also reshingling the roof of the sand shed.
Pete

C

Catt

Pete,as far as I know the standards,except for track gauge should be the same as 0n3.Personally I plan to leave the coupler height as it is(cause I'm a lazy ol furrball).:D

I'm also planning on switching over to PECO 0n30 track.The Bachmann track will make a good test loop though.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Catt,
Thanks, I sort of figured that if there were any standards, they would closely follow 3 foot gauge O scale. Was out to one of the hobby shops in the area today, and found a set of axles for converting the Bachmann 2-6-0 to On3. Picked up a set of "San Juan Car Co." D&RGW 4'8" archbar trucks ( On3), I'll see how much it will take to make them 30".
Pete

Catt, just one quick question, I picked up an On30 engine at a pawn shop, it runs on HO track, why switch to Peco On30 track? I hand lay my track and use code 100/83/ & 70. Is there something special about Peco On30 track ? Thanks Ron..

C

Catt

PECO 0n30 track has the tie (sleeper) spacing of narrow gauge track.Being as its HO track for O scale locomotives and cars the ties are sized accordingly.

In other words it just looks right.:D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Catt,
Didn't know Peco was producing On30 track, will have to look around and see if any of the shops here stock it yet.
Pete

Thanks for the reply Catt, just s couple more questions. what is the correst tie spacing for On30 ? as I mentioned I will be hand laying my track as only doing small layout, and what code of track would look good 83/70 ?? many thanks again.. Ron.

C

Catt

Ron,code 100 is pretty close to the right stuff.Code 100 in O scale is 4 3/4 " tall.Code 83 would be just under 4" tall.That definately is light rail.:D

Not sure what the tie spacing is(don't have any track handy).

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Ron,
I'd have to agree with Catt , that code 100 is probably the right size. Code 83 could be used, but you'd have to keep in mind that it would be extremely light rail, and wouldn't support any large engine. You could probably run the T boiler shay on code 83.
Standard gauge ties usually have a tie width between each tie. Narrow gauge ( the commercially available flex track) looks to be two tie widths between ties. With code 83, you might want to reduce that to 1-1/2 tie widths between. Narrow gauge ties are slightly smaller that standard gauge. 8" wide as opposed to 10" for standard.
Pete

Thanks to both of you for your valued advice. I have lots of code 100 old flex track, got it a swap meet years ago, person was giving it away, I strip the ties off and use the rail. My HO layout has a fair bit of code 100 but am slowly switching to code 83 so as the 100 comes up I will save it for the On30 switching module that I am planning. Again many thanks. Ron..

C

Catt

Happoy to help a nother modeler Ron,especially if he/she is goingh to do 0n30 :D :D