on30 outside frame chassis?

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
I'm now contemplating a gauge change to On30 (which I've always thought looked like good fun) after having zero success with my 009 (4mm to the foot, 2foot 3 inch gauge) layout planning. This depends on the availability of outside frame chassis, which I plan to use with the vast majority of my motive power.

I've known about the bachmann petrol (gas) mechanical locomotive for a while, but that's about as far as my knowledge extends. I figure that trawling the internet for this information would probably be a lot slower than just asking the people in the know, so that's why my question is here.

Steam, diesel, gas, oil, bunker c, sugar, lard, I don't mind what it runs on! I plan to have a wide and varied mixture of motive power on my layout, so just suggest away.:D

Thanks in advance.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
The only cheap outside frames I've seen are the ones that MDC had for thier HOn3 locos, which come up on ebay fairly often. The white metal casting is fairly decent and could make a nice frame for some small On30 steamer.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
zedob said:
The only cheap outside frames I've seen are the ones that MDC had for thier HOn3 locos, which come up on ebay fairly often. The white metal casting is fairly decent and could make a nice frame for some small On30 steamer.

I'm assuming that would require regaging, unless you're talking about just using the frames. HOn3 (representing 3 foot in HO) and On30 (representing 2 foot 5 inch gauge in O) have about 7 or so mm between them.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
ross31r said:
what about trying to get hold of the new 2-8-0s chassis?

thats outside frame

Manufacturer???

I'd love to if you just tell me who makes it!

I assume you're referring to MDC? If so, please make sure it's On30! HOn3 is something totally different to On30!

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
ross31r said:
bachmann! they are the only people who make a RTR outside fram 2-8-0 in 0n30 AFIK

I was under the impression that the only outside frame 2-8-0 that they made was a 1:20.3 scale model, not an On30 model, and that they simply got them mixed up somehow - maybe my sources are wrong on that. I'll take another look down this avenue and see what I find. It wouldn't be unlike bachmann to produce a locomotive in large scale and a smaller scale at the same time.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Bachmann had the outside frame 2-8-0, preproduction model at Trainfest last November!, they are out now, and are really sweet! They are not inexpensive, but they are excellent runners, and beautifully detailed.
Pete

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
ross31r said:
err, yes they do!!!

locomotives are part numbers; 25960-25963 and 25998/25999

came out recently - i should know i have six!

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I doubted you - you should've mentioned that you owned some! I simply got confused because I always knew that bachmann were producing an outside framed 2-8-0 of some description, but when I tried to find them I could only find the very large scale one - in fact I found an article on how this guy was converting it to a K-27, did a good job too, but looked a little too complicated for me. Anyway they sound like amazing models, I looked up some pictures of them and they look pretty amazing too.

If I can get hold of the chassis seperately I will probably buy a few, because that is certainly the best widely available chassis that I've seen. I have actually had more luck finding other outside frame locomotives in kit form since I started my search actually... probably a testament to how much more accessable the scale is. Although the ones I found are closer to my personal scale of On16.5, which is simply the British version of On30, but rather than respresenting 2foot 5 inch, it represents 2 foot 3 inch. Several 0-4-0, and 0-4-2 steam locos, one of which I have definately decided that I'm going to get. They're made by Wrightlines who I've known about for ages.

That 2-80 is a big locomotive too... I was looking at the dimensions, how do you fit six on your layout? They're huge! Having said that, that's probably the old 009 scale modeller in me still talking. I'm still getting used to the new 7mm dimensions.

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
ross31r said:
put it this way - they arent as big as my 0n30 2-8-8-2!

Well of course they wouldn't be, as a 2-8-8-2 is as big as a steam locomotive can possibly get. But for someone who is used to working with HO dimensions, anything approaching standard gauge size in O is very large, even if it is small compared to certain other locomotives.

Just how large is it, just out of curiousity? I'm guessing in excess of 60 cm.

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
well its effectively two 2-8-0 chassis joined together with a longer whaleback tender. Never actually measured her, but im guessing it probably measures in at something like 80cm long and about 3.5lbs

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
put it this way - they arent as big as my 0n30 2-8-8-2!

Now that's something you'll have to post a pic of ! D&RG had thoughts of having a 3' gauge 2-8-8-2 built, but didn't last long enough to have the thought realized. The Uintah/ Sumpter Valley 2-6-6-2's were the largest U.S. run 3' gauge locos.
Is that a simple, or compound articulated?

ross31r

Jul 6, 2004
Surrey, United Kingdom
assuming its a compound because one set of cylinders is huge compared to the other - however my HO Virginian 2-10-10-2 comes pretty close to the 0n30 locomotive in terms of sheer size so the HO engine would be a monster in 0

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
sumpter250 said:
At least until the 4-8-8-4's came along. Santa Fe, I believe, had a somewhat unsuccessful 2-10-10-2, the 3000 class. Then there were the 2-8-8-8's

My understanding of these wheel arrangements is that they were A: largely experimental and/or unsuccessful, and B: never introduced to narrow gauge. AFAIK 2-8-8-2 was as large as steam ever got on narrow gauge, and that was what I was referring to. But I could be wrong there...

And we need some photos of these locos! I demand pictures! :D