On Track, with Deano

UP SD40-2

Dave:wav: , THANK YOU for posting that:thumb: , i was totally unaware of that about #6344:eeki: .
i could have swore i had seen more then just one engine in that paint scheme, on Railpictures.net or the like:confused: , i guess once again my memory has deceived me:toug::eek:ops::119: .

going by what you have posted, that makes that model quite AWESOME!:thumb: , REAL GLAD i have it:winki::mrgreen: .

THANKS AGAIN:thumb:

I am also gald you have that one Deano! There was a model on ebay of UP 6344 that sold for a significant amount of $$$. I don't remember the final price, but more than I would care to pay. She is a unique loco. I know there are several shots and a discussion of this unit on Locophotos.com

BTW I love seeing updates to your on track thread, keep up the great modeling. I hope to one day have a layout and collection of trains not unlike yours (except maybe Brunswick Green and Conrail Blue instead of Armour Yellow!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen: )

Dave

Dave, THANK YOU for the complements:smilie: .

Josh, don't fret about that engine too much, SOMEWHERE on the net there is so many pics of it in gray, i thought there was multiple units of them:winki::toug::119::eek:ops: .

Here's a couple...
http://www.locophotos.com/Search.ph...SearchCity=&SearchState=&Order=&Search=Search

Hmmm... I wonder if maybe I should go to bed and try to sleep...???
Nah, too much train stuff to look at. Sleep is for the weak! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dave

UP SD40-2

SLEEP?:confused: ...what fun is that?:toug::119: .

DSC017601.JPG

CCT70

Scott, if you mean like the model i have of the AC4400 #6344, those were EX-SP units that UP painted that way to quickly cover the SP up and make them UP, it was more then just a patch, but cheaper to do then to put UP's paint scheme on them right away:winki: . they only did that to a few of the big road units, i believe none of them exist today, but i am NOT 100% sure of that. i DO KNOW that #6344 no longer is gray like that, in fact it was painted in UP's colors just before i bought that model:winki: .

there are UP engines that are remote control that are still 100% gray, but they are smaller engines just used for yard duty:winki: , no front windows in them either:eeki: .

NS did get several locomotives that were delivered in primer paint, the paint was contracted out to shops like WSOR's paint booth. What ended up happening was the NS needed power right away and a few ended up running around for a while in primer. IIRC, BNSF had a few as well.

UP SD40-2

Now along comes Tom, and pretty much confirms my thoughts:winki: , only i thought that paint scheme was put on SP units acquired, i thought it was primer, just to get them out quicker till the engine needed servicing, THEN they were painted in UP's colors. i ALSO could have swore i seen more then ONE of these, but hey, i could be wrong:winki: , i have been before:119: .

THIS subject makes for a good discussion, and in the end, a learning experience for us:winki::smilie: .

I know WSOR does paint for other roads, their paint shop is up in Horicon WI, and i know for a FACT that WSOR has painted a couple of UP's Heritage units:thumb: .

DSC017831.JPG

NS did get several locomotives that were delivered in primer paint, the paint was contracted out to shops like WSOR's paint booth. What ended up happening was the NS needed power right away and a few ended up running around for a while in primer. IIRC, BNSF had a few as well.

Now along comes Tom, and pretty much confirms my thoughts:winki: , only i thought that paint scheme was put on SP units acquired, i thought it was primer, just to get them out quicker till the engine needed servicing, THEN they were painted in UP's colors. i ALSO could have swore i seen more then ONE of these, but hey, i could be wrong:winki: , i have been before:119: .

THIS subject makes for a good discussion, and in the end, a learning experience for us:winki::smilie: .

I know WSOR does paint for other roads, their paint shop is up in Horicon WI, and i know for a FACT that WSOR has painted a couple of UP's Heritage units:thumb: .

Yeah, some roads did aquire units painted in primer, I don't know if UP ever did. What makes 6344 special is that it is a complete repaint, the gray is the UP finish coat gray, not primer. It seems it was either A.) painted in UP's standard scheme (with wings too!) but without the yellow or B.) painted in the Remote control trailer scheme but with the wings added.

I didn't know WSOR painted the Heritage Fleet. Why is that- does anybody know?

Dave

UP SD40-2

I didn't know WSOR painted the Heritage Fleet. Why is that- does anybody know?

Dave
Dave, i don't know about the WHOLE Heritage fleet, but i know for a FACT they painted a couple of them:winki: .

i don't know Why WSOR did the paint work for UP, and I'm not even going to hazard a guess:119: , but i DO KNOW here in WI UP and WSOR work together, they share trackage in a few spots, and they interchange with each other:thumb: . MANY of WSOR's engines are EX-UP units too:winki: .

ON MY SIDE OF THE TRACKS...
I put a few phone poles on dads layout, and we ran trains most of the day:thumb: . i took a pic of my FM H24-66 TM4 running on dads layout today, the pic is below.

i ended up taking my NEW CNW FM H10-44 home, and decked it out tonight, i added hoses, all weather windows, some decals, a bell on the tip of the front hood, extended exhaust stacks, and painted the white on the end railings. i am posting an "out of the box" shot, and then a pic of it after i finished it tonight:winki::smilie: .

DSC01828.JPG

"OUT OF THE BOX"
DSC01149.JPG

"FINISHED"
DSC02046.JPG

steamhead

Deano...a "little" work goes a long way towards making an exceptional model...!!! :thumb: Is she gonna get a light weather job..?
As you well know, I'm not a diesel fan, but I do love those first generation babies..!!! :rolleyes:
30 degrees.....Makes my heart quiver.....I think we're having a cold wave when the thermometer dips below 70....:eek:

jbaakko

There was a SP Geep that was "messed up", if I remember right it had a basic SP bloody nose, but with UP yellow replacing the scarlet.

I knew there were photos of 6344, I was commenting on how dirty she's gotten since the 2nd repaint.

UP SD40-2

GUS, THANK YOU for the complements on my CNW FM H10-44:smilie::mrgreen: .

Josh, THANKS for posting the info and the link:thumb: , VERY INTERESTING! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dave, THANK YOU for the complements:smilie::mrgreen: .

Ah-ha! I knew I had notes somewhere on the AC4400/C44AC-CTE, go figure it was on my own site, in an article I wrote!

#6344 received the full stripe, but no yellow.
#6361 received Union Pacific lettering on the long hood, and a road number patch, but other wise stayed in SP colors:
http://www.locophotos.com/PhotoDetails.php?PhotoID=42845

Now THAT's cool!! And explains why Deano thought he saw more than 1...

Thanks for posting that link, I hadn't seen that unit before.

Dave