On Track, with Deano

UP SD40-2

Just wanted to add a THANK YOU!, to Jim, NIevo and Wayne for the GP7/9 info, THANKS GUYS!:thumb::mrgreen:

Wayne, SLAP AWESOME THB geeps!:thumb::thumb: the canvas sunshades on them are REALLY NEAT!:winki::mrgreen:

:deano: -Deano

UP SD40-2

Hey Deano, How long of a lens do you use when your on the "wrong side" of the sun?:eek::mrgreen:

Joe
GOOD QUESTION JOE!:119: ...sign1

Boy my wording on that one was way off:eek:ops: , well, as i mentioned 2 posts ago, "I have really proven i have LOST IT" this last weekend:eeki: ...:eek:ops: ...:119:

What i meant was, when taking pics, the sun should ALWAYS be to your back, NOT facing you:winki: , unfortunately for me, in both instances this weekend...that wasn't the case:eek:ops: .

lets hope things get a little better for me this week:smilie: .

UP SD40-2

Deano if you really have lost it I'm sure your in good company.:p

j :twisted:
sign1 , THANKS JOE!:mrgreen:
to be honest...i am not sure if i ever "had it":eeki::toug::119: , but at least i don't feel alone now:thumb: , THANKS!:mrgreen:

Triplex

The SD7 and SD9 are basicly the six axle versions of the GP7 and GP9. Both have 1500hp and 1750hp perspectively.
Correct, though you can't look for the same identifying features. The only way to tell an SD7 from an SD9 is the class lights. On a 7, they're roughly centered relative to the number boards. Ona 9, they're farther outboard.
Would it be prototypically "correct" (not that I'm a rivet-counter...) to use a GP7 or 9 together with my SD7..? I think that would be an awesome lash-up...
Most diesels can run together, and you can be sure that anything that can run together has. The exceptions:

-A number of early switchers and most industrial switchers were built without MU.
-IIRC, Alco and FM engines of the 40s couldn't MU with EMDs, but in the 50s, they used EMD-compatible MU, and most earlier engines were retrofitted in kind.
-Baldwins, with their air throttles, couldn't MU with any non-Baldwin power. Re-engined Baldwins could.

Note that this only says what can't be MUed. Anything can be double-headed with two crews, like steam. This wasn't common with diesels, but it did happen. I know that SP sometimes ran H-12-44/AS-616 consists!

UP SD40-2

Triplex, THANKS!, for the info:winki: , VERY INTERESTING!!!:thumb::mrgreen:

I just finished watching my "Union Pacific Odyssey" vol.2 DVD(each vol is a 2 disk set) on disk #2 they specifically covered what we have been talking about, Lash-ups:thumb: , real interesting and informative stuff:winki::mrgreen: . the DVD covers UP from the mid 60's- late 70's. i thought it was pretty neat to find out the Gas Turbines originally couldn't be MU'ed to anything, but UP eventually put them in their shops to make them "MU-able", they did this so just in case the turbines had a "flame out" they would have backup power to continue the run:winki: .

UP SD40-2

Nothing new, just adding a couple pics to this page:winki: .

DSC07643.JPG

DSC07656.JPG

zachary

hey deano nice work havent been on in a while ive been sick with a sinus cold just wanted to stop in and say hey till nextime zachary

DeckRoid

Hey Deano,

I went out to a usual haunt of mine today to take some snap shots of the UP yard in Nampa, Idaho today, but I was turned away due to some road construction. Well, I don't give up that easy, so I went down some side streets, twists and turns and came up to this road...

box3.jpg

Then I found a couple of cars that were interesting to me. In the past, I have gotten some shots of box cars that I cannot figure out how in the world they got to Idaho.

But these are just some that I thought were interesting...

box4.jpg

box2.jpg

GERN Box1.jpg

That last one... I have not seen the likes of it around here before.

George

doctorwayne

I'm more surprised by the car number, as I thought that all GILX covered hoppers were in either the 5500 or 5600 number series. Perhaps those graffiti "artistes" are more accomplished than I'd given them credit for.;) As for the presence of the car in Idaho, there is a GERN facility in next-door Washington. :p:-D:-D:-D

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Zachary, THANK YOU!:smilie:
I'm real GLAD you stopped in:thumb: , i hope you get over your sinus cold soon:smilie: .

Matt, THANKS!:mrgreen:

George, GREAT SHOTS!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: i liked the UP hopper the best:winki::mrgreen: . i gotta admit, i had to do a double take on the GERN hopper:eeki:sign1 .
THANKS for posting the pics:thumb::mrgreen: .

Wayne, believe it or not, one of my FIRST thoughts after seeing the "GERN" hopper George posted was: "are those numbers right?":eeki:sign1

Jim, I too had to do a double take on that one:eeki:sign1 .

On My Side Of The Tracks...
Some of you folks have mentioned in this thread, and through PM's to me, that the "pictures" in this thread really makes it more interesting:winki: , THANKS for the feedback!:thumb: ...though no one has mentioned if its the model pics, or proto pics:confused::119: , so i try and keep a fair amount of BOTH posted:thumb: .

i have mentioned some virtual "Field trips" i want to take you folks on, but unfortunately those wont come till the weather gets better:eek:ops: . at this point i am doubting spring will ever come:eeki::cry: , it just snowed again today:roller: , i am so tired of winter:madd: . i am really itching to get down to Rochelle again:mrgreen: , and also spend some time on the south end of UP's Harvard yard in Janesville so i can get some shots of incoming trains from UP's Proviso yard in Chicago:thumb: .

PLEASE FEEL FREE to post pics YOU have taken and want to talk about on here:thumb: , i am ALWAYS interested in seeing stuff from where YOU folks come from:winki: , and NO, they don't have to be UP pics:winki: , but you sure wont hear me complain if they are:119::mrgreen: . that goes for modeling pics too:winki: .

As far as MY pics go, well, i am hoping winter up here ends:rolleyes: , and when it does, things will happen:winki: . I have been a little busy lately, but am posting modeling progress as it happens:winki::smilie: .

Till next time...Stay ON TRACK!:thumb:
mps.JPG

UP SD40-2

Ah another beautiful shot. Two cows working together. Deano do you have calf units to go with them?
Matt:wav: , THANK YOU!, for the complement:smilie: .
Both those units are MP's, #1413 is an MP15AC, and #1342 is an MP15DC, so they really didn't have "calf's", BUT, i do have a calf:thumb: ...i don't have a cow to go with it yet though:eek:ops: .

Heres a pic i took a ways back of the calf behind an SW3, prototypically, this would probably be incorrect:eek:ops: ...(looks around), but we wont tell anyone that:119: .

gggjk.JPG

UP SD40-2

I like both proto and model pics so keep them coming:thumb::thumb:

Snow? It broke 90 here today:mrgreen:
THANKS JIM!:mrgreen:
WHOLLY SMOKES!!!:eeki: 90 DEGREES!:eeki: Oh sure Jim, just twist the knife in my side:119: , it was a whole whopping high of 34 today, and that was only for a short time:frowns: , its in the low 20's now:madd: , just part of the fun of living in WI:rolleyes: .

Sarge_7

Whats really messed up about our weather is it was 90 today, but a cold front blew in, so it will only be 60 tomorrow. Not as bad as your 20 but the big swing really messes people up around here.