OMG - It's snowing!!!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Yep, snow is swirling from the sky for the first time this year. I know I'll be complaining heartily after a month or so of shovelling, but the first snow of the season is always a rather joyous occasion. People stop and talk as they're waiting for the elevator - there's an excitement in the air.

Wheeee!

Cheers
:D Val

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
You have not lived until you have experienced a Philadelphia rush hour during a snow storm. The higher the snow the lower the drivers' IQ goes. Nothing like a 45 minute commute that takes 4 hours!

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
People are always saying that Californians don't know how to drive in the rain. But I lived in Boulder, Colorado for a year, and I'd swear the people there can't remember snow driving from one year to the next. On the morning of the first snowfall that winter, with only about 2 inches on the ground, I counted 4 accidents on my 3-mile commute!
Bill S

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
We haven't seen more than one wet snow that left a 1/2 inch or so in the Twin Cities so far this season. Usually the real stuff doesn't come until November or, with luck, December. We did have a famous Halloween storm in 1991 (I think) that dumped two feet. It made the Winter last half a year and we finally started seeing all of those Halloween jack o' lantern leaf bags when the snow melted in April.

Ralph

NYCentral

Aug 29, 2002
Albany, NY
Visit site
Originally posted by TomPM
You have not lived until you have experienced a Philadelphia rush hour during a snow storm. The higher the snow the lower the drivers' IQ goes. Nothing like a 45 minute commute that takes 4 hours!

Go to Long Island, NY 3" and they want to close everything!!! the IQ level of drivers there gos down in proportion to the number of inches of snow * 100!!

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
same can be said for the Nation' capital. 2" of snow closes schools, and effectively shuts down I-95 and the beltway for at least 4 hours. 4" of snow will cause the Govt. to close the offices for a day.:) :) :D :D

H

horailfan

Had no snow here in Austin,but had a hail storm that had hail the size of baseballs. I have alot of new baseball sized dents on the hood and roof. Luckily the windshield survived but did knock off my rear view mirror on the inside of the window.Sheeesh. Jerry

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
David:
I grew up outside of DC. We used to say that the problem was there were no natives in DC so no one was there long enough to learn HOW to drive in the snow. The politicos change evey four years and military changes every 2,3,4, etc. years. If the city would just get into some other line of business the population would stabilize and then folks might learn how to drive in the white stuff.

Course, down here now, it was a lovely 68 degrees today....

La dee da de dum dum dum....

Ted

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Ted

It is going to be fun to watch the next big snow here. We haven't had a "good" snow storm for more than 4 years. That was the year of the 117 car pileup on I-95 at the interchange where I get off to go to my house. They also had a 20 or 30 care pileup about 15 miles south at the same time. It must be the non-native - (but I'm a non- native too :D ) I am also smart enough to stay off the roads if the sky even begins to turn that dark snowy gray in the winter.

I'd rather be in New Hampshire.

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi David:
If you're from N.H. then the above doesn't apply to you. You probably know that ice=0 traction, and that traction is necessary for starting AS WELL AS stopping. The last really big snow I was in I DC was the one where the Florida Air jet hit the bridge over the Potomac. It usually took my wife and I an hour and 15 minutes to get from work, in Alexandria,Va. To our home in Reston. It took us seven hours that night. Spent 2.5 of them at a friend’s house in Vienna so we could wait for the herd to be thinned out a little.

The snow probably stays prettier longer in N.H. doesn’t it? When we get snow down here, once every 2-3 years, it lasts ½ a day and everything closes cuz there is NO snow moving equipment. Nice system, you can actually have a job AND enjoy a snowfall this way.

Regards,
Ted

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Jerry, Austin must have some of the roughest weather in Texas. My family and I lived there for nearly four years and I don't think I'd ever seen that much hail in all the rest of my life! Nearly every thunderstorm had hail. I think that the storms follow I-35 up from Mexico, and pause in Austin for a rest.

Dallas is another rough weather spot. They actually get ICE on a regular basis. Yes, ice, that stuff that you find in the freezer! How it gets all over the roads and countryside, I'll never know...

It's been "snowing" here almost continuously in South, Central and East Texas for about a month now. That's "Texas Snow," BTW. That means "rain" to most folks, except those who live in North Texas. Texas Snow is the rain that falls in the Fall and Winter. :)