Omega-class destroyer

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dhanners, Jun 4, 2007.

1. dhanners

dhanners Member

Here are some photos of the Omega-class destroyer from "Babylon 5" that I just finished. It is the EAS Agamemnon.

The kit is one of the new ones from Jaybats, with numerous modifications and scratchbuilt details. I understand the concept behind Jaybats' models -- he's trying to produce relatively simple card models of a wide range of sci-fi subjects -- and while he is a talented designer, that approach has both good and bad points.

The good is that we now have a card model of an Omega-class destroyer. The other side of the coin, though, is that the design is very much simplified, lacks a lot of 3D detail and can be a challenging build. Exacerbating that is the fact there are no instructions or exploded-view diagrams, so when it comes to some parts, you're on your own figuring out how how they go on.

That said, nobody put a gun to my head and forced me to build this, and I'm relatively pleased with the results and scratchbuilt details. I introduced a couple of significant errors when building the model, and they are errors I would've avoided had there been some instructions.

But that's life, and I'm glad Jaybats is offering the wide variety of models that he is.
  2. Dyna-Soar

Dyna-Soar Member

Excellent Job!
  3. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Great job, David! I've been looking forward to seeing your pix. Now, I've just GOT to get some more black ink!

Scott K.
  4. Jaybats

Jaybats Member

Wow, that looks really great!

Yes, the simplification requires me to give up on a lot of 3D details, hoping that the textures can make up for them. I originally had those mid-line bars across the hull, but deleted them because I thought the shape was rather problematic; and the elongated box I used for the hull limited my options for indented details. When faced with these kinds of design choices, I tend to go for the configuration that produces less small faces and parts. Since at this time I can only imagine the builds, that gives me less things to keep track of.

Sorry about the lack of instruction graphics, my eyes gave up on the computer after that last major effort... you'll notice I used a lot of different styles with the instruction graphics in that last set...that's me trying to finish things as much as my eyes would permit. Anyways, I'll go about making an assembled color diagram to show where the parts go, so others won't have as hard a time.

5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

That's really good!! I quite like those details on the surface.
  6. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looks great! Nice way to display it, also! Now a glass case and your all set! Great job, thanks for the pics!

7. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

Fantastic build. Great detail work. This is next on my list too, so thanks for the review and all the great additional features to add on.
  8. Hot4Darmat

Hot4Darmat Member

btw dhanners...would you be willing to share the gun mount modification patterns you made?
  9. dhanners

dhanners Member

The gun mounts were scratchbuilt individually from looking at the photos of what this guy is doing:

Basically, I started each gun mount as a small rectangle of gray cardstock. That is the base. Then I laminated about four or five layers of the same cardstock and cut it into thin strips; these would be the sides of the mount. The strips were cut to length and glued onto the rectangle. After that had dried, I cut and sanded them to shape.

The gun barrel itself is just normal typing paper (with gray printed on it) cut and glued around a small piece of copper tubing for shape, then cut to the proper length and removed from the tube.

I couldn't get any real decent up-close drawings or photos of the "real" gun mount, so I just kind of winged it. From a distance, I suppose it looks ok.

One thing I am planning on doing now is shortening the model. The fore and aft hull parts are supposed to be recessed into their adjoining "buffer" section, those donut-shaped pieces either side of the rotating section. But I didn't recess them into the section, so the front and rear sections are too long by about half an inch. At first, it didn't bug me, but the more I think of it, the more it gets on my nerves. As I told Jay, it was clearly my error, but it is an instance where instructions or even an exploded-view diagram would help.

Another thing I should add is that while Jay provides the parts so you can roll a tube to go through the center of the model -- and the tube is the thing the rotating section rotates on -- I ditched that and used a model-rocket tube that was just about the same size. It was a lot sturdier and helps provide a lot of rigidity to the model.
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK ditch the stand........... photoshop a star background................. get Delenn, Sheridan and Ivanova............and lets make a show!

Nice job!
  11. dhanners

dhanners Member

Thanks for the kind words. Any photo trickery will have to wait, though. The model is "back in the shop," as I decided that the fact that my error -- which left the front hull and rear hull each about half an inch too long -- was really bugging me. So I cut them off, trimmed some off each, and I'm currently in the process of gluing them back on. (The front hull is drying as I take a break to write this. When I'm done, the rear hull will go on.)

This is one of those times I remind myself, "Thank goodness it's only paper." Makes these sort of fixes a lot easier....
  12. Zathros

Zathros Guest

@Dhanners, your ship is awesome.

@Jaybats, great model, your attitude towards the users of your design is a standard which others should follow, great work, great model.
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

I got the thing shortened and the glue is dry. Later tonight I'll get some photos taken. I want to stress that the error I made during construction was mine, and nothing that Jay was responsible for. The parts in question clearly had "cut out" written on them, and I didn't cut them out because I thought I'd take a different approach in building the "buffer" sections and connecting everything together. But as much as I tried to think through that "different" approach, I screwed up. (Although my approach did work, for the most part.)

One thing I'm wondering, though -- is this model in scale with the Hyperion-class heavy cruiser available at and designed by Diego Cortes Pardo? If I read the online references correctly, it appears the Omega-class ship is roughly 70 percent longer than the Hyperion class, and when I put my two models side by side, it looks as though the proportions are appropriate. I haven't gotten out my ruler to figure out the scales, but they look closely in-scale.

And I'd like to echo Zathros' comments about Jay's designs. His stuff is the only game in town for some of these ships, and my hat is off to him for designing them and offering them to us.
  14. dhanners

dhanners Member

some new photos....

Here are the photos of my "fixed" EAS Agamemnon, and I threw in a couple of photos of it alongside one of my earlyer "Babylon 5" builds, the EAS Breheny.
  15. Zathros

Zathros Guest

If I had that collection I would be on the rug playing with my 7 year old son, he would make me be "The Shadows", though.
  16. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Are there any shadow ships?

Just out of curiosity, exactly how long is that model?
  17. dhanners

dhanners Member

The Agamemnon is 23.5 inches (59.7 cm) long and the Breheny is 13.25 inches (33.6 cm) in length.

The various B5 references list the Omega-class destroyer as 5,623 feet (1,714 meters) in length and the Hyperion-class heavy cruiser as 3,363 feet (1,025 meters) long.

By the "real" figures, the Breheny is 59-percent of the length of the Agamemnon, and in model form, the ship is 56-percent the length of the Agamemnon. So that's darn close, if you ask me. I'd figure out what the scales are, but my brain is too tired tonight for much more math....
  18. sakrison

sakrison Member

Nice build and a nice short, informative review. Thanks, David.
  19. Gomidefilho

Gomidefilho Member

Fantastic Work! I am very impressed with amount of details and the wealth of the finish. Beautiful model!

20. dhanners

dhanners Member

If my math is correct (always an "iffy" proposition) then I believe the Agamemnon works out to 1/2868th scale (1"=239.3') and the Breheny works out to about 1/3036th scale (1"=253.8').

If I'd known that going in, I might've shrunk the Agamemnon a hair so both ships would be in the same scale. But they are fairly close (5 percent or so) as it is.