Olympus C700 Question for Shamus or Whoever

I've got a problem. I used to "know" computers in the DOS days, but I've never gotten a good grasp of Windows, so don't know how to fix my gremlins.....

Prior to blowing up my old computer, I had absolutely no problem with downloading pix from my C700. But now with a new computer, I cannot get it to work. I've loaded (and reloaded, andf reloaded) the Olympus software onto the hard disc, faithfully following instructions. The first couple of times I attached the camera to the USB port, I got a "search for drivers" window, followed instructions, but it could never find the driver. I had it search the hard drive, and the CD, to no avail. Then the computer just gave up on me and doesn't even give me the search window any more --- and blythly ignores whether the camera is plugged in or not. When I go to "My Computer" there is no icon for the camera.

I emailed and telephoned Olympus "customer support". Got no response from my email, and someone who could only speak to me as though I had a masters degree in computer technology. In other words, no help.

HELP!

Bill S

Tyson Rayles

I'm not sure which windows you have 95, 98, etc. But when you go to install at some point you will get a box that has options on install, usually typical or custom. Make sure the typical is checked (or has that little dot in it), if it is on custom it will install NOTHING on its own, you will have to do all that yourself. Other than that I don't know. Either way you will have to probably do a complete uninstall first, then reinstall. If the software came with a uninstaller included that is not enough. Do that first then go to find, click on folders, type in the softwares name, just olympus should do,click on find, once it has finished then select all and delete, then go to windows explorer and check to see if the folder is in there (probably under program files) if it is delete it also. Then go to your desktop click on and empty your recycle bin then reboot your computer before you reinstall.If you don't get everything out before you reinstall it will sometimes corrupt the new install. Hope this helps. If it doesn't send a PM to Rory, he's a programmer maybe he can figure it out. Good luck!

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Bill,
When my Son David gets home tonight, I will have him write to you with full intructions on how to get it back.
David is one of these computer wizkids (Runs his own business called Puzzlebox Solutions which is on my website under links) He does programmes for various companies, also web stuff. Then builds and repairs them when he has time. Damn fool works all day on them then comes home and does the same thing with his own. His room looks like a NASA convention.

Shamus

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Bill, over to my lad.

Dave (Shamus's son) speaking :-

Hi Bill,

It seems like the problem is after windows could not find the driver it put your camera into "other devices" to be sorted out later.

In order to get the "found new hardware" search windows up again, right mouse click on my computer, then click on properties. A window will open and at the top you'll notice a few tabs, one of them is named "device manager", click on this.

You'll then see a list of devices in your PC and towards the bottom you should see a little yellow question mark with either your camera name or just the name "USB device". click with your mouse on this name and then click "delete".

After its gone from the list reboot your PC and then windows will re-detect the device and ask for the driver CD. If you've installed the CD then the drivers may have already been loaded in the background waiting for your camera to be detected.

If windows asks you for the driver CD (assuming you are Windows 98), then point the search windows to your CD drive and the folder "USB/Win98".

That should be it.. hope that works,
Dave...
---------------
Okay Bill, thats all I can do, hope it works for you friend. If no, let me know.
Shamus

A thousand thanks Dave, Shamus, and Tyson.

Promised the childbride I'd take her out tonight, so I'll have at it tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Again, my thanks,

Bill S

Shamus/Dave,

Okay..... Under device manager, there is an icon named "Universal Serial Bus", but nothing sub to that and no yellow question mark --- which I'm guessing is where the camera or USB device aught to be.

?????

Bill S

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Bill,
Did you have the camera plugged in and turned on before checking device manager.
From David to Bill.
If it still does not show up then try plugging your camera USB cable into the other USB socket on your PC (there should be atleast 2 of them)

Failing that then it gets a little complicated to explain over the internet and one small mistake could make your other devices play up.
Shamus & David