Older Locos to DCC

TN_Trainman

Hello to the Gauge,

Well like I said in my intro I have been out of MRRing since 1978 so here is where I play catch up.

Q: Can older locos hace DCC installed into them if they dont have it? I have a chance to buy several Mantuas, Rivarossi and Roundhouse engines for a VERY sweet price from a lady whos uncle died and left his entire collection to her. But before I bite I want to make sure I will be able to get them converted to DCC.:thumb:

shaygetz

Many of them can be done with varying degrees of difficulty. The big thing is the ability to isolate the motor from the frame so that it receives power only from the decoder.

TN_Trainman

Well I knew it woundt be simple yes or nosign1 answer, so I guess I will just have to take my chances and if they wont be able to be converted sell them to someone who runs DC!

Thanks for the reply

George

But on certain dcc systems(digitrax I believe), you can run 1 dc engine along with the dcc's. So if you have a certain steamer you just gotta run, but theres no room for the decoder, then it will work.:thumb:

shaygetz

TN_Trainman said:
Well I knew it woundt be simple yes or nosign1 answer, so I guess I will just have to take my chances and if they wont be able to be converted sell them to someone who runs DC!

Thanks for the reply

George

You're welcome. I've converted at least one of each brand. As long as you're somewhat handy and mildly electrically minded, you should have no problem. Feel free to PM me when you start doing it if you find yourself in a bind.