Older decals

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by raz, Jan 22, 2006.

1. raz

raz New Member

Hey guys,

I finally go to building my "great circus train set along with the wagons etc. Problem is, the set is 15-16 years old and the decals have become dry and brittle. I try placing them on the wagon and they just fall apart. Since these models are long out of production, I see no way of getting a better sheet of decals. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to give these sheets new life? All I can think of is to try and print my own, but I don't see how I can match some of the fonts, gold trim, etc.

Thanks, Jeremy
  2. BillD53A

BillD53A Member

Give the decals a heavy coating of Dullcote. Make sure the entire sheet is covered and you are going to have to do a close trimming job on the film when you apply them.
  3. dsfraser

dsfraser Member

You might also find it useful to spray the decals and then slide them onto clear decal film. Seal them again with a lighter coat, and then you can put them on the model without worrying that they'll fracture.
  4. raz

raz New Member

Thanks Bill

I'm not sure if I understand what you mean Fraser. Do you want me to dullcoat it, then submerge the whole sheet and slide that onto new decal film? You guys are both sure about your tips? Like I said I only have one chance here. Actually, maybe I can scan the sheets onto my comp. doctor them as needed, and then print newer sheets. Any thoughts on that?

Thank you both for your input.