Old UP-Shops in Sacramento, CA

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Modellbahner, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Guys,

last year I was on a model train show somewhere in the bay area and I met some guys who had organized a tour trough the old UP shops in Sacramento before they will be scrapped for some new landscaping projects. Unfortunatelly I lost the flyer and I'm screwed up because I have no idea who this was or which group was the organizer. The tour should happen somewhere between march and may 2006. Does someone has informations about this event?

2. liven_letdie

liven_letdie Member

I assume you are talking about the massive Southern Pacific, later Union Pacific, shops? I had heard sometime back that they were getting torn down but then I had heard lately that the GSRM now has control of the property and plan on using them for storage, and rebuilding projects? Maybe someone else knows more about this topic. I did not have any luck finding any info on a tour but typing SP shop tour into google yielded many results of others who have organized such a tour. I would imagine any orginazation could do it. Let me know if you find out anything because I would be most interested too. Thanks!

3. Modellbahner

Modellbahner New Member

Hi Cory,

most of what I found on google are travel reports and most of them are made privat. The worst thing is that I have forgotten the name of the guys who wants to organize a tour through the buildings because that is something that you can not do if you just walk through the area.
    Next time I will try my luck and I will see what I can reach. Maybe the weekend around January 14th;-) There is a GATS in Sacramento.

4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

You might try contacting the California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento to see if they know anything about a tour.
  5. jetrock

jetrock Member

There is actually negotiation going on to make most of the remaining Shops buildings into part of the California State Railroad Museum.

Almost all of the Sacramento yard is gone--it's mostly just a big semi-poisonous field of mud and grass, aside from the mainline and a couple of lines that I think are mostly used for clearing out the bits of metal and toxic gunk they're stll scraping out of there.

Union Pacific is in the process of selling the vacant land where the yard and much of the outlying shops area (like the lumber mill) were to a development company called Millenia. They are both working with the Railroad Museum, and the end idea is that the shops buildings will eventually belong to the Railroad Museum, and will, at some point, become part of the public Museum. At the CSRM today there is a small display on the very back wall of the second floor, at the end of the CATHEDRALS OF LABOR exhibit (dedicated to the Yard and Shops) showing a prospective sketch of the center of the Shops area as a public-accessible museum. But it may take a decade or more to actually realize this.

Right now, the Shops buildings are used by CSRM to store, maintain and restore many pieces of the CSRM's collection, and the remaining exterior shops trackage is used to store the many pieces which don't fit in the Shops buildings. They rebuilt the transfer table between the boiler shop and the erecting shop, and use it to move equipment between the buildings. I think that Millenia is going to end up owning at least one of the Shops buildings, and they are interested in preserving it to use as a public plaza--the current style in urban development is "adaptive reuse" of old buildings rather than simply tearing them down (a few blocks away, the old Globe Mills grain mill is being converted into upscale loft housing!)

As far as tours go, I think the Railroad Museum sometimes does tours of the Shops area for private groups but I don't even know who to ask for one. The area itself is off-limits to the public, because vandals have broken in before and smashed windows and otherwise made a mess of things, and, frankly, because the area can be pretty dangerous.