Old Tyco gets facelift

Bachmann_I10sa

Hey guys, I redid my Tyco Baldwin Sharknose diesel engine and thought I would share it. I know Tyco is an old, cheaply kind of manufactured engine, but the price was right when I saw it at the Union Station Collector's show here in Utica last month($8). E R Models makes a Sharknose in this New York Central Scheme that has 8-wheel drive (compared to the Tyco's 4-wheel), and is twice as heavy; and being that I couldn't afford that one just yet, I opted to redo the Tyco. I don't know if anyone else here takes the cheap stuff and redoes it to look/run better, but I thought I'd show you mine anyway.

Sorry about the lousy picture quality...webcam is dying on me these days.

Attachments

• 02 forum use.jpg
    02 forum use.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 166

J&A_RR

great job, I will be looking at doing that someday soon.

But I wish I had the patience and skill to repaint as well as you did.

thanks for sharing

SAL Comet

Ha Bach, I have lots of old Tyco rolling stock. Some of the locos run ok and others have the drive gears removed and roll as a dummy. And there's the two F-units that wouldn't even roll good(giant wheel flanges on code 83) they sit on a unused siding "waiting to be scraped".Still using lots of old tyco cars to. If you weather them heavily, it hard to tell them from the new stuff.

Bachmann_I10sa

Hey, thanks guys. The Lightning stripes and the letters are Microscale brand decals, I don't have a steady enough hand to paint those on, haha.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Very nice!!!! Way to give that Tyco a second life! I have a Tyco F9 and a GP20 that like Scott's have been gutted for service as dummies. Great work on those lightning stripes by the way!
Ralph

Ray Marinaccio

Nice job on the Shark.
I have one of those on the to-do list.
I've reworked a lot of Tyco, AHM and other trainset locos and get great enjoyment from it..

Bachmann_I10sa

Hey thanks, guys. I appreciate all the compliments. I think, after working on this train, that I may try this again with other old "cheaper" engines that I come across. I have a few NYC lightning stripes left, and was thinking of an Alco RS2 for the next project. A local hobby shop sells used AHM engines, and Alco's are frequently appearing there(not that I know why, I own one and love it). But I liked redoing the Tyco; not many people seem to have these active on their layouts anymore.

petey

Just for your info. Roco made some very nice Sharknoses. Good detail and nicely weighted. Used, these sell now inexpensively.