Old trains, new track...nickle silver vs. brass

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Pentastar, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Pentastar

Pentastar New Member

I am putting together a track with nickle silver track, but the trains are old ones from the 60's and appear to have brass wheels. Will this pose a problem with my track? Will the brass wheels on the train conduct well on the nickle silver track?

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

There should be no probs with conductivity. Some locos made these days have brass wheels too. However, old trains from "those days" had quite large flanges on the wheels, and the newer "low profile" track might not be high enough to stop the flanges cluncking along on the "spikes" that hold the track to the ties. However, Code 100 track should be fine. Might be an idea to check that your old locos run smoothly along the track you intend to use. I'd also check to ensure you old locos run smothly through the turnouts you intend to use to, because of the larger flanges they used then. Hope this helps. :thumb:
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Nickel silver track should eliminate one of the problem contact surfaces in your system. You just need to keep the wheels clean; a regular cleaning will probably do. There is no chemical problem with brass and nickel silver.