Old Stonington lighthouse (Fiddlers Green)

Discussion in 'Architecture Models' started by mOONwOKA, May 17, 2007.

1. mOONwOKA

mOONwOKA Member

Hello everybody,

This time i present you Old Stonington lighthouse, purchased from Fiddlers Green. I have a thing about lighthouses and this one looked like a little cosy house by the sea that you (all right, me) would want to spend you (all right, mine) old days in. I originaly made it couple of years ago as a present for my very dear friend. Some time ago it find it's way back to me as during this time it underwent some handling and needed repairs. So i had my chance to photograph it. The model was printed on semigloss "chalked" paper which takes handling very well. I added some depth to windows and doors as in original model everything was too "2D-ish". For this i simply cut out windows, used 2mm thick cardbord on the inside to create sort of frame and glued windows back. The same "frame" helped to make whole thing much sturdier. The spherical base for weathercock was made from small lead pellet. To create more realistic appearance i drilled small hole through it, then fixed in motor tool and used small file to create groove around it. Into this groove i glued piece of strethced sprue and painted the whole thing white. The real thing is not flat on the ground - it has sort of basement, but i decided not to scratchbuild that one. Base is cut out from the same 2mm cardboard and sketchy painted with thinned enamels - they tend to soak in a bit and look much like watercolor but are more resistant to handling.

Enough talking, let's see the pictures.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Close-up on front entrance and tower. First picture shows the changes i made to add depth. I took it in "super-macro" mode, barrel distortion is an issue here.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Other close-ups
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
  2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Beautiful work. Were the windows and doors recessed in the kit, or did you add that detail? I built a Fiddler's Green lighthouse and the windows were not recessed.
  3. mOONwOKA

mOONwOKA Member

No, windows, were not recessed. I'll try to explain it more clearly, than in my first post. I cut doors and windows out, then glued stripes of 2mm cardboard inside around the edges of cutout, thus forming the recess. Then i glued loose windows (and doors) on pieces of paper, providing sort of "tabs" to glue them inside the recess. The exception is front door - i printed another sheet of parts (in case i need a replacement) and used bits of "stone" pattern to form concave.

I apologize, if my writing is a bit unclear - english is foreign language to me.
  4. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Beautiful job mOONwOKA!

I think that you should consider sending pictures to Chip at Fiddlersgreen.

-Jim G
  5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Very nice! You should send you pictures to Chip. I'm sure he'd be happy to post them on the FG site.
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Super! You did a great job and the details are wonderful - how big is it?
  7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Your communication skills are not lacking...some of us just do not like to read...lol

8. Very nice, peaceful, serene. You're right, I would want to live there. Thanks for sharing our photos.
  9. Clashster

Clashster Member

Another great looking model! I have most of FG's lighthouses and I will use your method when I get around to building them! Thanks for the photos and the tip!

10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

True. I didn't read the first post very well. :oops: Sorry. mOONwOKA, your English skills are very good.
  11. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Very nice looking finished product. Your treatment of the doors and windows add some nice detailing. :)
  12. mOONwOKA

mOONwOKA Member

Imeasured it today. The base is 13cm in diameter. The model itself is over 8cm in height, ~7cm in width (or front face) and ~9cm in length. I don't remember for sure, but i guess i printed medium size parts (for those not familiar with Fiddlers Green - you get your models in three sizes). I forgot to put something for size comparison, i hope you can imagine it from numbers.

And my thanks go to everybody for your compliments.