Old School

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Brenton, May 31, 2005.

1. Brenton

Brenton New Member

Does anybody out there still design aircraft plans the old fashioned way?
    That is with pencil & paper.
  2. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

I do.

Well, "design" might be too strong a word for it . . . . .

I build Pioneer- and WWI-era planes from 3-views. I print an extra copy of the plan and cut it up to use as patterns for things like fuselage sides. Wings, rudders, tailplanes I draw directly onto cardstock. I figure out turtledecks, cowlings and other curved parts with a little bit of math and some trial-and-error.
  3. Brenton

Brenton New Member

Thank you!
    I thought as much.
    I will be trying this method out as you described.
    Your pics of your model are great by the way.

4. EricGoedkoop

EricGoedkoop Member

Here's a photo of the Nieuport 11 I've got in the works. I admit I had to cheat a little on this one because of the camouflage and white markings - I drew and colored the fuselage sides in Photoshop and laid them out with the turtledeck as one part. The rest is old school, though. I printed out big chunks of camo to draw the wings and tailplane on.

Of course, the first time I figured out how wide to make the deck I somehow figured it twice as wide as it should have been. This is my second go at it. It's more "error" than trial, sometimes.
  5. Mark Crowel

Mark Crowel Member

Old School Drafting Methods.

I draw my own model automobile plans with pencils, pens, rulers, and other traditional drafting tools such as curve gauges, a circle gauge, and elipse gauges. I don't have any CAD, and I don't feel that I need it.

I haven't done any aircraft 3-views yet, but if you have reference pictures of an airplane you'd like to build, I'd be interested in attempting a drawing for you.

E-mail: papercraftcars@aol.com
  6. Lepercan

Lepercan Member

Do you mean to tell me there are still draftsmen out there? I still have my old tools; even dust them off once in a while. Wouldn't embarass myself attempting to design a cardmodel, though.
  7. MAJOR

MAJOR Member

I served my time as an architect, then went into graphic design. Gave it all up about 12 years ago to go and build custom motorcycles and trikes, so CAD plays a big part in everything i've done in the past 24 years. But, i still prefer designing the old fashioned way, especially when it comes to paper models. The satisfaction from blank page to finished model is far greater.
  8. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

when I started designing models, I was doing it the old fashioned way.

mostly as a refresher to doing things on paper, but I just missed it as well.

i've all but abandoned those efforts though and gone back to the PC, and now even going further into full 3d as well...
  9. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I used to be a cartographic draftsman (drew maps) in the service back when. Like Lep, there's something immensely satisfying in looking at a fully drawn work of art before it goes off for the next step in production. I've wished many times that I could have kept and framed some of my early works.