Old Rivarossi Heisler

Skunk Valley

Nov 5, 2002
Middle Georgia, USA
Visit site
I have an opportunity to acquire one real cheap. Electrical pickup seems to be left wheels of leading truck and right wheels of center truck. Not good. Anybody ever add additional pickups? How?

Thanks from the Skunk Valley

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I had a three truck Rivarossi Heisler ( one of the original models). It ran well on my temporary hotel room track and also on the club layout . It was a bit fast for a Heisler. I believe the newer version has better detailing and is re- geared.

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
You dont say how much but a the right price you can use it as a dummy or a siding setter.

That is if you cant fix to run as you require.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
I have one of the original run 2 truck models from the late '70s. It runs a little faster than I would like, but I never had any problem with the limited pickup. The Heisler runs better than all my other locos from that era except the Roundhouse Climax. The Climax may run slower but is MUCH noisier. I did have "live frog" turnouts exclusively.

Tomar has some pickup kits that would probably work. And I would probbly regear mine when I build it into a smaller, older Heisler (or sell it as too modern for my layout).

hd8091

May 20, 2004
Model Railroader did an article on remotoring with a NWSL motor &fixiing pichups. you could do a seach on the MR website for the specific issue.
Tom