old old stuff - need help

aartwmich

Hi Folks..anyone know anything about.....

#16 Electronic Rectiformer made by American Flyer circa 1950, 110-120 volts - 60 cycles - 150 watts, 1237 tube, has a directional switch.

I have my dads old 4x8 table running again and wonder if a new engine would be compatible with this transformer?

Thanks for any advice.:)

Vic

I don't know anything about the item you asked about but it got my curiosity up as I had American Flyer trains in the early 50's. Tried searching for it and other that finding a few spare parts for it I did not find anything on it. One site reffered to it as an "electronic" transformer but that was about it. Another site indicated that it was only produced in 1950 and was preceded by the #14 Rectiformer which was manufactured from 1947 to 1949.

You might try finding some American Flyer collectors. Maybe they could tell you more about it.

What made me curious was the name "Rectiformer" and the 1237 tube which is a rectifier tube...changes AC to DC....American Flyer S gauge trains ran on AC and I'm curious as to why the converstion to DC.

If I find out anything more I'll post it here.

aartwmich

Thanks Vic....

I tried sending an email thru that website you linked...but it failed twice..'cannot find server'. I see he hasn't updated his webpage in a year, so maybe the email function is defunct.

I have no idea why they changed what or when, this is all totally new to me.

The 'rectiformer', I found out after taking it off the mount so I could read the labels on the leads, has two leads labeled 'for DC trains' and two leads labeled 'for AC accesorries'

Dad wired the tracks sections from the DC leads and the track switches from the AC leads.

It worked pretty good until yesterday I bought a new lighted engine, it ran halfway around the track then quit as the tube glowed bright purple..now it won't run anything...:( I think I killed it and am heartsick. Dad is rolling in his grave!! Or maybe he's just laughing.

I thought I had run a new DC train on an AC system till I saw the leads, now I have no idea whats wrong. I did find a ponding pal that does radio tube stuff and is into trains..I just sent them an email so maybe they can help.

Thanks for your interest Vic, I'll let you know what I find out.