Old, old Bachmann sets.. Anyone got Info?

JasonRP

Oct 28, 2005
When I was a kid in the 70s, my family used to own an N-scale Bachmann train set that consisted of a red caboose,a coal carrying Gondola, a tank car (I believe it had 3 fillers), and a Boxcar, pulled by a small steam locomotive without a tender. My guess is that the locomotive was an 0-4-0 switcher- I can't remember for sure.

I remember that the train set came in a blue plastic tray, with a clear plastic lid, and that the transformer was of the 6600 type (Gold colored metal transformer). The blue plastic tray with clear lid was then slide into a color-printed cardboard sleeve depicting a steam train, Bachmann logo, etc. My guess is that the kit was from the early 1970's.

Anyone got any info on this kit? Anyone know the kit #, the name of the railroad (or perhaps a few different railroads were available?) Any info would be appreciated. Anyone got one of these kits collecting dust that they'd like to sell?

Jason

JasonRP

Oct 28, 2005
Here is a pic of a set very much like the set I had as a kid..

The only differences being that our kit had a blue base, and a steam engine instead of the diesel here.

Anyone know the vintage of this style of Bachmann train set? :)
fd_1.JPG

steveNSimes

Oct 12, 2005
My brother got one of those as a birthday gift when we were kids(around 76-79, perhaps). It had the blue base, as you said. The road name was Burlington, I think it was a GP-40. I may still have it somewhere, I look around for it and see what I can find out.