Old loco's need turbo boost?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by witeagle, Dec 31, 2005.

1. witeagle

witeagle New Member

Hi all - so I pulled out all my old stuff - been in the attic about 20 years and found 8 locomotives.

I've tried to get each one to run and got the following results:

Some just did nothing at all, some sputtered a bit and ran VERY slow, almost like they were not getting enough juice, and a few that actually ran.

I cleaned up the wheels the best I could by using a 320 grit sand paper. Is there a better method and better product besides sand paper?

The engines that are just not getting enough power and just putting around the track, are they just washed up and ready for 'display' or is there something I can do to bring them back to life?
  2. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I don't know what engines you have and whether they are worth repairing but Here's how you clean the wheels:
    First go to the hobby shop and pick up some track cleaning liquid. Then soak a paper towel with the liquid and place it across the track with the power to the track on full. Then place your engine on the track (holding it so the wheels will just turn without it going anywhere) and run the turning wheels on the towel. This will clean most of the gunk that builds up on the wheels.
    BTW, Never use sandpaper to clean your track or wheels, it scratches the metal which make it even harder to clean them later.
  3. jetrock

jetrock Member

Part of the problem is most likely in the gearing rather than stuff on the wheels--lubricants get sticky and dried-up over time. Take off the shells and apply some Labelle plastic-safe lubricating oil on points where gears mesh.
  4. Relic

Relic Member

since I,m constantly in a position of terminal poverty I ask every body I meet if they have old trains in their attic or wherever (do the same with Triumph mc stuff) I get a lot of queer looks but I,ve also got some stuff. A couple of the Bachman F,s were pretty poor runners so I took ,em apart and cleaned every thing with alcohol (later some contact cleaner followed me home from work). Don,t forget to clean the backs of the wheels.