Old FA shells

dmb3006

May 22, 2002
central new york
Visit site
:cool: I found (2) HO scale FA shells.Both are A units.I was told they were made by Lionel.Does anyone know of a power chassie that would work with these shells? I would like to make them over to NYC lighting stripe.I have not posted in awhile due to illness.Always glad to talk about NYC motive power from the steam diesel era.

Don

Jan 14, 2005
FA drive

Hobbytown makes a drive for an FA that should w/a minimun of fuss.Check out Bear locomotive on the nmra mfrs. site.
Don

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
I have a couple of those HO FA Lionels, Ive tried one of the shells on an Athearn F7 ( Blue Box) and it seems like a usable fit. If you are willing to do a little adjustment it will work. I can check the fit again if you'd like, anyway that is my plans for the Lionel shell.Cheers Willis

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
Well it's a tight fit but it does fit, attached photos. One observation the Athearn trucks look a lot better than the Lionel trucks. There are other issues such as securing the body to the Athearn frame, fuel tank details, coupler ect. but it can be done. The best I have above the Christmas trainset range are Athearns so I have no idea if they can be mounted on Atlas, PK and whatever. Hope this is of some help.
Cheers Wilis

Attachments

• 105-0581_IMG.JPG
    105-0581_IMG.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 105-0580_IMG.JPG
    105-0580_IMG.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 98

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I believe that the Rock Island acually did have some FA2's that were re-fitted with the EMD type trucks...

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
Ah! the trucks yes, on the models I'll be doing the trucks will be much different. The FA's used around here were built in Montreal (MLW's) and were different again. I have to do some research on this but that's some time in the future. What I do with the Athearn trucks is to saw the details off the side frames leaving enough of the Ath. side piece with the prongs to cement the proper side frame to it. Attached is a pic of my MLW RS18 ( frame and running gear Athearn GP7) and that is how I did the trucks on it. ( side frames from an RS11)
Cheers Willis

Attachments

• RS18TG.JPG
    RS18TG.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 85

dmb3006

May 22, 2002
central new york
Visit site
Thank you all for the interest in my future FA shell project.Just in case I'm about to destroy something of value 1 is a single head light Sante Fe A unit the other is a red white and blue American Freedom Train A unit with single head light. There is no manufactors ID on ether shell. The AFT shell is by far the better mold showing much finer detail

dmb3006

May 22, 2002
central new york
Visit site
Post scrip,my wife was looking at the shells that I left laying on the ketchen table.She said look honey the Sante Fe shell say's BLT by LIONEL right after the word SANTA FE.Maybe I should use the eye drops the doctor gave me on a regular basis. :wave:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I wouldn't worry to much about destroying a coillector's item. The Lionel FA shell isn't one. You can usually find dosens of them at swap meets or ebay. I just sold off mine (I had two) and three walter's FA's and used the money to buy a P2K FA-1 (CNR).

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
David,
Unless you already have the parts to power them, I wouldn't bother unless you really want to, Trainworld I think still has the P2K FA1 and FA2 A/B sets on sale for $49.99, both powered, much better shell. You''ll spend more on each one if you don't have the parts already.
I'm the one who bought Glens FA's and I'm not doing anything with the Lionel shells although one was still powered and I painted it up in the cigar band scheme and am running it till the Lionel motor goes.
On the TM shells I got from him, I had parts to power the ones that weren't, and spending a few dollars on detail parts, that's it.
Walthers also has their FA-1 on sale for $26.98, they still show a NYC available. You'll pay that much for an Athearn F unit plus you'll need sideframes, etc.

Now to nit pick the shell, the headlight area is wrong, it sits to high up above the nose, but the roof detail is better than the TrainMiniatures.

It's your choice, it's your railroad.

CBCNSfan

Mar 11, 2005
NS Canada
Hi David, that's good advice from Brian. I have two of the Lional FA's hardly ever run and not likely to be used in the future. I also have a couple of old Athearn F' units that I will use to power the shells. Since I have the parts from days gone by, I'll be doing the kitbash, however if I had to buy new power chassis to do it, I'd put the money into a better RTR loco.
Cheers Willis