Old enough?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by barnowl72, Aug 4, 2005.

1. barnowl72

barnowl72 New Member

I have a boy who will be 7 on december 10th. I recently found an old train engine and cars of mine from when I was a boy and he was fasinated with them. He said he wanted a train set like it. Do you think that he would be old enough to handle them by christmas? (O gauge of course)
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

My 4-year old son pushes my PFM/United brass 2-6-0 Mogul (1 of 200 made in 1974) around the table with his matchbox cars from time to time---he just does it with me watching ;) :thumb:
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

The lionel stuff is pretty durable, and 7 is probably old enough that he can play with them for awhile without breaking them too badly. I had HO when I was 5, and didn't last that long. I played with my uncle's lionel when I was a kid, and it is still around today. But by the time I was 8, I was capeable of taking care of my HO stuff well enough to enjoy it for many years.

We used to have these small metal trains that we pushed around the carpet. I rememeber there being several different sets. They were die-cast metal and about the same size as our hotwheels. In fact, my nephews still love to play with those. The wooden thomas style sets are also great, but 7 may be getting a little old for that stuff. I say, let him play with the O gauge under your supervision, and see how he does.

4. Dick Elmore

Dick Elmore Member

:thumb: I recieved my first electric train when I was 4 years old, a prewar American Flyer o gauge. When I was 16, I got my drivers liscense, my first car
    and discovered how much fun girls were. After that the train set sat in a dust filled open top box in my grandparants garage attic for about 30 years. It still runs to this day. Yes, I think 7 years is plenty old enough to have an o gauge train set.

Texas Chief
  5. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

My son was operating the O-scale Christmas layout at 4. Now at seven he operates his own HO scale equipment on the layout and is in the process with his mother of building a G-scale garden railroad.
  6. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

7 is certainly old enough as long as he has interest. I have seen layouts operated by a young man like that but he did have help in the building of the layout. Now my own son at that age had no interest in model railroading. He was football mad and played tackle football from 7 to 16 in a Mississauga league then some high school football. Now with kids of his own he still loves sports and can't understand why I am still a model railroader.
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I got a Bachmann set when I was 6 or 7 that I still have - - and it still runs!

The LGB or O scale stuff is larger, but if he's into trains and is careful with his other toys, then he can probably handle HO. There are plenty of simple kits (Athearn, Accurail, etc) that have relatively few parts and go together quickly. It's a good place to start, as the initial investment can be small to further gauge interest. With LGB or O, the investment is higher to get going.

8. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I am sure you are, or have, taught him proper care. My opinion would be that when he is quite capable of RErailing cars, that is good enough. Other than that, I don't believe age would enter into it.

9. barnowl72

barnowl72 New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have to admit that I to would like set one up (Its been a long time) and it would be great to have something that I could share with my son:D
  10. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

I maybe jumping the gun here but my son will be 3 at the end of septmber, and he LOVES playing with my O gauge thomas set (i bought it for him). under good supervision I think any age is fine as long as they are into trains. With my son he is SO infatuated with trains that when he hears a train horn in town we need to go hunt it down and watch it until it passes. This is why I have no problem with him playing with the O gauge or even my G gauge outdoor set.
    have fun and make lots of great memories with your son and trains.
  11. barnowl72

barnowl72 New Member

My boy has the wooden thomas trains, such as Duck, Percy, henry,Gorden and all of those. He also has rode on thomas, and wants to ride on a steam engine sometime. I am sure with a little help he would have a great time. I have the perfect table to put a layout on.
  12. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I had my first electric train when I was 4 or 5; my first Lionel about age 7. Lots of windups before that. There's not much left of the pre-Lionel stuff. (I got handy with the pliers and screwdriver!)
    Rule used to be "the smaller the boy, the bigger the toy."
    I switched to HO about age 13.
  13. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

we took our son on the thomas ride this past july, and boy was it a trip. i would do it again in a heartbeat. my son has all of the wooden locos and trucks and whenever his greatgrand mother see one he doesnt have, he has it when she gets home.
    i hope your son has alot of great times with the O guage. we had a little ho layout when i was about 10 or so (got it form a yard sale or something), and my mother would make stuff out of oatmeal tubes and just other things we could find around the house.
    have fun and take care,