OK, who makes a better engine?

Looking for a new Santa Fe or a BNSF engine.... Who makes the better engine?

I like Athearn, Kato, or Atlas.... They all look REALLY nice, and each have feature I like.. I like the lit ditch lights on the Kato's.... Are any really better than the others? Any have more detail????

I have experieince of Atlas and Kato engines and found both very reliable. Other good engines are Intermountain (mostly), and Precision craft. People have mixed feelings on LifeLike but their latest stuff isn't bad.

Biased turkey

I too would like to go with Kato, but the railroad I'm modeling ( TH&B ) used GP7 and SW9 and Kato ( as far as I know ) doesn't produce those 2 models.

My GP7 is from Atlas.
The SW9 and ( MoPac ) GP18 are from Life Like ( N scale Proto ).

I'm satisfied with both of them.
Atlas has a + because of the very very low speed possible to reach ( the SW9 is not a bad slow crawler either ).

I really would like to buy a Kato but none of their models fits the TH&B.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
TOWER 55 Has LOTS of detail, they are not cheap though. They come with DCC and SOUND or you can get em' without SOUND and DCC for $40 cheaper but it almost is not worth it because it is only $40 for sound.

The Explorer version comes DCC/DC and SOUND and is $299.99

The Pioneer version comes with no DCC or SOUND and is $259.00

I do not own any T55 lococs but I want some REALLY, REALLY, REALLY BADsign1 sign1 Of cource with DCC and SOUND

T55 web site: www.tower55products.com

Athearn, ATLAS, and KATO are all great locos to. I have some ATLAS and Athearn and I love them, nice details (if you get the genius series by Atheran and the Gold Series by ATLAS, they have more details)

Either way, you really can't go wrong with the above MFR's

P2K is another good one I have heard

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Meiriongwril said:
But ... err... Tower 55 is all HO scale. Isn't this the N/Z forum?

:eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: OOPS, guess I shouldv'e looked before I rambled on:eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Sorry guys.

I still like Athearn and ATLAS in N scale, I am in both scale lol

3railguy

For F units, my choice would be Intermountain. They are better detailed than Kato and just as smooth running. The Katos however are probably more reliable and bullet proof.

I like Kato best overall. The new mid production SD-40-2 has seen a few improvements over the older models. Love the ditch lights too.

kf4jqd

Well... My theory is like this. Opinions are like.....(can't continue!)sign1 I buy whatever is on sale! I like a good bargin!:thumb: :D I do like Atlas, Con-Cor, and even Life Like. I don't own any of the others.

Here's my 2 cents worth. If you like what you see. Buy it!:wave:

Andy:wave:

Biased turkey

How about Model Power locomotives ? They make good structures ( the brewery for example ) but does anyone has an opinion about their N scale locomotives ?

ejen34

I have found that some folks need to ask What makes a good power (locomotive) first? In order to indentify your power and option needs. From there you can pick between the above listed companies for your best price, options, etc...I happen to think all three companies listed are fine :thumb:

Triplex

How about Model Power locomotives ? They make good structures ( the brewery for example ) but does anyone has an opinion about their N scale locomotives ?
I'm no expert, but isn't their reputation somewhat like Bachmann: poor diesels, but better steam?

For BNSF, you'l probably want C44-9Ws, SD70MACs and SD40-2s, which means Kato all the way.

davidstrains

Triplex said:
For BNSF, you'l probably want C44-9Ws, SD70MACs and SD40-2s, which means Kato all the way.

What he said. I have 2 of the Kato SD40-2's and 2 Atlas -8's in BNSF. Put decoders in them and all run great on the layout. Can't find them- they are so quiet. You can' go wrong with them.:)

pretty much agree with everyone on this one. Katos have the best pulling power. Atlas locos seem a bit light. Athearns are almost as good as Katos but just a little louder...which really doesnt bother me because ive never seen a real locomotive that was quiet

Paradise275

Canadian Model Craft (old Life Like Canada) use a lot of Atlas product to make specific Canadian road names like TH&B. Their own brand TrueLine is also atlas that they commission the bodies and paint work for. They make a lot of TH&B stuff.

Rick

Thank you everyone for your replies. I want the Kato version, however I see it hasn't been manufactured for a while and EVRYONE seems to be Out of stock.. I may end up going with the Atlas version

Thanks again