Ok, who else models the C&NW?

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
C&nw!

CNWman said:
Just curious. The CNW was posibly one of the biggest class 1 railroads out there untill 19-somethin. Just wanna see if it's a popular roadnametrain97

CNWMan...
Hi, I am building our new N Gauge in C&NW. I have some E7's and E8's and Atlas Passenger Cars. I have just ordered on Con-Cor passenger. I have just started ordering my equipment. I am building a 400 line for my Dad who is ex C&NW. He worked in Milwaukee at the passenger depot and a line man in Butler. When I was young there were many times we got rail passes and went to Chicago on the train. It was a big part of my childhood and I will never forget it.

I had C&NW HO when I was 17. So now I am changing all to N Gauge and just starting out again. Do you have any pictures of your layout??

TTYL... :wave:

Herb

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Well, not exactly

My dad and I have only gotten serious about making a perminent layout back in August of 2006. Right now the "layout" is just a 4X8 table with track & a few structures on it along with all the drawings i did in pre-planing. But even if I did have pics of it, I can't post 'em cause i can't configure them because I don't have the proper program to do so. If you have any sugestions onto my problem, please post in the forum introducing myself where I am trying to post pics.
Thanks

Ben H.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I model CNW, BNSF, and UP.

I have some CNW engines made by Athearn. They are all C44-9W's and 2 are dummies and 2 are powered. I also have a AC4400 SP, AC4400 UP, BNSF Dash 8-40B, and a BN GP50. They are all Athearn exept for the BNSF which is Atlas. I love Athearns and Atlas.

Most of my rolling stock is CNW, BNSF, and UP too.

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
You can resize photos in Microsoft "Paint"

CNWman said:
My dad and I have only gotten serious about making a perminent layout back in August of 2006. Right now the "layout" is just a 4X8 table with track & a few structures on it along with all the drawings i did in pre-planing. But even if I did have pics of it, I can't post 'em cause i can't configure them because I don't have the proper program to do so. If you have any sugestions onto my problem, please post in the forum introducing myself where I am trying to post pics.
Thanks

Ben H.

If you need help with your photos, just email me and I can try and help you. You may have just what you need if your running Win98, ME, 2000 or XP and don't even know it. If you have photos and can't scan them, thats another story. Do you own a digital camera?

Herb

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I don't model anything specific, but the one loco I have is a BN unit. I would love to have some CNW equipment join my collection, but lately I've been on an EJ&E kick too

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
Always wanted to model CNW, as a saw it all the time when I visited my Grandpa in the UP or Michigan (Upper Peninsula, that is! ;) ) Never had the time, money or occasion to model it! :( PErhaps sometime in the future....those rockgeeps are calling to me! :rolleyes: :D

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
TruckLover said:

I have some CNW engines made by Athearn. They are all C44-9W's and 2 are dummies and 2 are powered. I also have a AC4400 SP, AC4400 UP, BNSF Dash 8-40B, and a BN GP50. They are all Athearn exept for the BNSF which is Atlas. I love Athearns and Atlas.

Wish I could see some pics of those new engines. :)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
CNWman:wave:, WELCOME TO THE GAUGE!!:D

YEARS AGO, i used to model the CNW in the transition era:thumb:. my dad has ALWAYS(and still does)modeled the CNW and the Milwaukee Road:thumb:. i still like the CNW, and still buy CNW engines to run on dads layout(i just got a CNW Alco RS32...TODAY!!). HOWEVER, I now eat, sleep, drink and breath UP:D(happened about 17yrs ago;)), and i model mostly modern UP and some old UP now:D. i still have all my old CNW engines, and run them at dads from time to time:thumb:. i think its REALLY NEAT that you and your dad model together:thumb:. my dad is 68 and i am 41, and we STILL model together on Saturdays when i stop over to his house:D. I have posted just SOME of my CNW engines below.

1. a CNW FM H24-66 (my layout)
2. a CNW FM H16-44 (my layout)
3. an F7 i converted to a commuter unit (my layout)
4. my DL-109, pic taken on my dads current layout.
5. a CNW SD40-2 patched for UP(hey, I'm a BIG UP nut, what did you expecttooth1). View attachment 33893 View attachment 33894 View attachment 33895 View attachment 33896 View attachment 33897

Attachments

• c1.JPG
    c1.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 94
  • c2.JPG
    c2.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 97
  • c3.JPG
    c3.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 96
  • c4.JPG
    c4.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 100
  • c5.JPG
    c5.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 98

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
CNWman said:
Just curious. The CNW was posibly one of the biggest class 1 railroads out there untill 19-somethin.
For the record, the CNW worked together with UP(in passenger service) for MANY years(since the 1930's), and was taken over by UP through a merger in 1995;).
:D -Deano

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Yes, Trucklover, Can you show us your CNW Engines??

TruckLover said:

Hey Trucklover;

Are you running HO or N? I will look at your sig again and check the link. Seems like there are a lot of folks here that like CNW!

Herb :wave:

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Good Site, I have already been here. Signed up my Dad....

viperman said:
And here is a great site for the CNW fan to visit:
http://www.cnwhs.org/
Viperman...

Good Site, especially the historical photo's. If anyone is interested, you can see a lot of the 400 liners here with the E7's and 8's. There are about 140 photo's of freights and liners... In one photo, you can see the Milwaukee downtown depot which is on Lake Michigan... :wave:

Herb

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
Viperman-Thanks for the link. That place looks pretty cool:thumb:

holdenburg-Yes I have a digital camera. It's trying to edit them is what's the problem. I have microsoft 2000. If there is any way to still pull it off with standard stuff, I'd like to know

Everybody else-guess I kinda underestamated the popularity of the CNW by it's availability at my LHS, Davis Electronics:D

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
That CNW heritage unit by UP looks really cool in person. Just wish I got a pic of it. I just happened to look outside and saw it rolling by. That was over the summer

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Options...

CNWman said:
Viperman-Thanks for the link. That place looks pretty cool:thumb:

holdenburg-Yes I have a digital camera. It's trying to edit them is what's the problem. I have microsoft 2000. If there is any way to still pull it off with standard stuff, I'd like to know

Everybody else-guess I kinda underestamated the popularity of the CNW by it's availability at my LHS, Davis Electronics:D

You can download Infranview Free and edit your pictures if you don't like Win2k built in editor. http://www.irfanview.com/

You can also use Paint which is built in but a bit too simple. But it works. You can also use Compupic which is not free but has a demo version for 30days I think. This is easy to resize and crop pictures also. Infranview is free and very easy.

Hope this helps... :wave:

Herb

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
editor? editor for what? I HAVE to use Easyshare which does everything BUT resize pics. CCT70 has posted pics for me 3 times in my intro thread, so look there for my (somewhat cruddy IMHOsign1 )pics of my layout. The loco, gray covered hopper, and the caboose are the only things w/ CNW logos but I plan on making more in the (seemingly far) future:D weather built up or if I must use tools starting with my two bare hands!!!!:D

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Reworking Atlas Riva's

I got my Dad over the last weekend. I bought him a C&NW hat from the CNWHS site. It is a cool hat and he wears it and really likes it. While he was over, I started showing him my C&NW picture gallery. I have been collecting off several sites including the CNWHS site.

I am doing research on the Streamliners. Like someone said in some threads here, UP was in partnership with CNW for many years. The City of Los Angles had CNW cars that were painted in the UP Theme! Also, the western ore project was a huge investment for CNW and they made a lot of bread and butter money on their western operations.

I bought the Atlas cars but their a bit light. I found a couple of articles on some people adding weight to these. So far, I can not figure out how to take apart these cars?? I am changing out the trucks to MT's and using silver...
Some interesting web I found here on CNW
http://www.trainweb.org/passengercars/Indices/C5.htm

TTYL...
Herb :wave:

holdenburg

Dec 29, 2006
Florida
www.nettechonline.net
Email me your photos...

CNWman said:
editor? editor for what? I HAVE to use Easyshare which does everything BUT resize pics. CCT70 has posted pics for me 3 times in my intro thread, so look there for my (somewhat cruddy IMHOsign1 )pics of my layout. The loco, gray covered hopper, and the caboose are the only things w/ CNW logos but I plan on making more in the (seemingly far) future:D weather built up or if I must use tools starting with my two bare hands!!!!:D

I can host your photos on one of my web pages and provide you with links to them. I also can give you an account to one of my we sites and you can upload your pics there if you want... You can link to them.... Just a thought...??

Herb