ok, tonight im going to build a layout.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. gkcooper365

gkcooper365 New Member Old S Scale

Great job

That is a great design. It looks very interesting, and I love the upper loop.
  2. Geno

Geno Member

I recommend getting some 1/2" Sound Board from the Depot ($9/sheet)- put it on top of the OSB and you won't even hear your trains running. I used 1 x 4's for tressle uprights on my niece's 5 x 9 layout- alot cheaper than the Fastrak tressles- then you can run your Husky Stacks too.

3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have stuff im planning to use, i plan on getting some rolls of grass mat so i will end up taking up this track for that anyway, and im not done with the plan yet, i have some tweaking to do, as i get the funds to buy the stuff i need.
  4. Geno

Geno Member

What will you use for sound absorbtion? Are you going to use that green indoor style grass mat? How thick is it?

5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the grass mat is just for cheap fast way to cover the wood, grass look you know......

i have a roll of foam polyseal that when i double it up will almost be 1/2 think, i will but it under the grass mat so you cant see it. the grass mats im talking about you get at train stores, a roll will cover a 4x8 foot area.
  6. Geno

Geno Member

That kind of grass mat won't absorb the sound from fastrack running on OSB. The sound board I use is 1/2" think, and has a tan-brownish color that looks like ground/ dirt to me.

7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok let me say it again............................. " i have a roll of foam polyseal that when i double it up will almost be 1/2 think,"

the poly seal will be unrolled and placed under the track just like foam road bed, but i will put it down, then put the grass mat on top of it to hide it. so it will be Board, then poly seal, then grass mat then track.

btw as i have it in the pics there is no sound anyway, its just as quiet as the track on the carpet layouts i had before. where most get the loud track noise is because they run there o scale trains fast, i have mine creep along at a realistic speed.

the good news is that i found a way to modify the plan to let my run to trains at the same time, i just have to buy some more switches.
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well i just picked up a switch at the lhs today, and ordered 2 more. so soon i will be adding to the layout.
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i did not mean to sound like i did in this post, i was up all night, could not sleep, in some pain from surgery... i was in a grumpy mood.
  10. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Well advised last post.

I think those 3-railers are sooo cool..!! The "breaks" betweeen cars on the curves notwithstanding....
    Keep those pictures coming....
    Hope you're feeling better...
  11. Geno

Geno Member

No worries- hope you feel better soon. I like your track plan BTW- goos use of the space.

12. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well, after i make a trip to Menard's i think im going to turn the 30" X 8' part into a 4' x 8' then get some more track and i should have up to 3 trains running at one time, and one loop will be an min of 0-48,
  13. kfh227

kfh227 Member

I love following this thread. I can't wait to see pictures of the next changes to the layout.
  14. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Ya its like a soap opera. I lost my wife 4 years ago( in a divorce) but gained a house. Ozzy hang in there you could get your house also, there is hope.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::thumb::thumb: Just kidding tell her you love her.
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

at the end of the 30" x 8' table is a 48" wide table anyway. so i will just be filling in the gap, or space between the 2 end tables, but if i do that i will need to replace 2 manual switches with remote ones (already ordered)

this is an L shaped layout, 4' x8' on the short leg, and when done it will be a 4' x 14' leg

the 2 walls its up against is 8' and 18', takes up all of both walls. and i can bring the 4' x 8' table out so its another 18" wider well i can 4' of the 8' side, the other 1/2 will have the 4' x 14 ' table up next to it.

you know, i think i really have more fun designing and building the track then running trains on it. im always looking for other ways to change the path of the trains, when i run out of room to expand after awhile i take the track up and start completely over,,,,, is why i like fast track for here at home, and gar graves at the club.
  16. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

if i end up with the house the complete upstairs will be one big layout, and i will be able to send trains downstairs to all the rooms in the house, on a shelf around all the rooms. through walls and what not.

17. rogerw

rogerw Active Member

Ozzy dont take it so hard.:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  18. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well i think im going to try to figure out a tack plan today to get what i want with out added to the tables like i talked about doing yesterday, (wife stayed home from class today).....lol if i cant get it to work i will still add to the tables. (when the wife is gone)...lol.
  19. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well i changed it all around, now i can run 2 trains , one on an upper level, and i have an incline going between the two lines. i just have to back back down, so i need to find a way to have a 2nd incline so i can go back down forwards, or put in a reversing loop on the upper level.
  20. Brutus

Brutus Member

Ozzy - can you post your plan? I'm very interested to see what you come up with.... Keep us posted!