ok, tonight im going to build a layout.

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok, i been running trains!!!!!!

its completely different then the plan i started with. and its just track on the wood bench work, went with one line, but it has more then one route to take and has inclines. i have some tweaking to do,,, before im 100% happy with it, but i need some more track pieces . i will take it up in a few weeks when i buy some grass mats. and i will then put foam under the track. and i would like to get a couple bridges.

my main goal was to have running trains before friday, as i will have surgery then and i wanted to be able to run trains while im home 3 or 4 weeks healing.
  2. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Ozzy...This is for sure some adventure..!!! And all the trials and tribulations others have gone through sure did get some chuckles....Hope everything works out OK with you and the CO....And hope your surgery goes OK..!! Keep us posted.
  3. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Hey best wishes on the surgery.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

oh ya, all the bench work was made out of scrap lumber, or leftover lumber from other home projects, only thing i had bought for it was screws.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

well my 1:48 Lionel husky stack car will not fit under my lionel elevated trusses , they are 5 1/2" tall,,,, if i just had a 1/4 inch more...lol
  6. Brutus

Brutus Member

Ozzy, sounds like you got a lot done dude. Can you make some little wood feet or spacers for under your trusses - that's what I did one time, just fyi.

Good luck on your surgery Friday and keep us posted, okay?
  7. Geno

Geno Member

I use scrap pieces of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" MDF, srounged up for free from a cabinet shop- rip these on a table saw and you're good to go on shims.

The Lionel Husky stacks are tall boys. Try running them through Lionel's Extension bridge (6-12772) on Fastrack- no joy there. I barely got the Husky Stack to fit with 027 tubular track- had to take the center reinforcing ribs out of the top of the bridge.

8. I haven't been to his house yet but there is a gentleman that I have bought trains from a few times in york hes a proffesor at one of the collages up there any way he has 15 operating train layouts occupying about 2500 SQ Feet of his house. Next time up think I'll go and get some pics for you all.
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

think i can get away with another extension tonight?......lmao
  10. scubadude

scubadude Member

Doo-it, Doo-it, Doo-it ! :twisted:
  11. gkcooper365

gkcooper365 New Member Old S Scale

Thanks for sharing

I really enjoyed your story, and the great progress you have made. The boss helps me buy stuff for my layout, and is getting ready to paint some people for me. I am going to start a thread and share a little on my layout. Thanks for the push to get me contributing on this forum.
  12. Geno

Geno Member

How's your progress coming along? Have you made peace with your wife yet?

13. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

peace?... yep,,, i can leave it up the way it is for now while im home recouping from surgery. then we will go into negotiation's on how i can add on.
  14. scubadude

scubadude Member

Hey Ozzy, glad you are home and hope your recovery goes well...now on to business.....I say you negotiate NOW, while Momma may have a little post-surgery sympathy! :twisted:
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

here are some pics.

Attached Files:

16. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

Attached Files:

17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

even more

Attached Files:

18. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

the last of them.

Attached Files:

19. kfh227

kfh227 Member

Awesome pictures. That setup is looking good. Whenever I see layouts like that in O gauge I rethink my idea of the around the room setup.
  20. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

this layout has a loop, and then if i want it to it can be a loop to loop with both loops at the same end of the layout, one upper and one lower.

the upper loop is a mix of 036 and 048 curves .

i have plans to make changes to it already,,,,, when i get some more switches and other track pieces.

right now i can run 2 different routes, but only one train at a time, i want to change it just a little bit to run 2 trains at a time and have a siding or two.. the 2 sidings i started out with are now the up and down grades of the upper loop.